Highlighted

Explanation of menu for importing a folder into a "destination"

Explorer ,
Dec 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an issue, but maybe someone can explain something on my screen capture first, which may help me figure out my issue.

In the destination panel, towards the left, there is a + sign.    What is this for?

Next to it is another smaller mark.  What is it for?

To get to the bottom of my folder list, I have to open each folder along the way, until I finally drill down to where I want to put my imported photo.   As I recall, the full list used to open automatically, and I just scrolled down to where the photo should go, and clicked on it.

Very strange, but maybe there's a logical answer?

importing an image questionimporting an image question

Topics

How to, Import and export, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Explanation of menu for importing a folder into a "destination"

Explorer ,
Dec 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an issue, but maybe someone can explain something on my screen capture first, which may help me figure out my issue.

In the destination panel, towards the left, there is a + sign.    What is this for?

Next to it is another smaller mark.  What is it for?

To get to the bottom of my folder list, I have to open each folder along the way, until I finally drill down to where I want to put my imported photo.   As I recall, the full list used to open automatically, and I just scrolled down to where the photo should go, and clicked on it.

Very strange, but maybe there's a logical answer?

importing an image questionimporting an image question

Topics

How to, Import and export, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 26, 2019 0
Advocate ,
Dec 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The + means "Create New Folder". Click on it and your OS opens a navigation window where you make a new destination folder if needed. And BTW, while the + menu is open put a check next to "View: All Folders".

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 27, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Dec 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'The + means "Create New Folder". Click on it and your OS opens a navigation window where you make a new destination folder if needed. And BTW, while the + menu is open put a check next to "View: All Folders".'

You mean the Operating System (not Lightroom) opens a navigation window, rather than Lightroom?  I guess this would be useful if I wanted to create a new folder system on an external hard drive, separate from my existing folders.  Do I understand you correctly?

If I click the + sign, are you saying if I then put a check mark next to "View: All Folders", that might correct my current issue where all my folders aren't listed until I "drill my way down" through them?    If so, that is the answer to my original problem.

Finally, what is the small down arrow just to the right of the + sign?

Thanks - you're answering things I've been unable to find on my own.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 27, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to create an Import Preset so that Lr will automatically import your images directly to the correct folder to  save time. Read more here: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/photo-video-import-options.html#import_using_presets

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 27, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Dec 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, all I want it to do is to display the full list of all my folders that are under the _Lightroom_ folder in the right panel.  Then I'll select the appropriate one.  The whole list used to appear in the right pane, but I never saved a photo of it, so I can't post here what it used to look like.

All this is just "convenience".  It's annoying, but everything still works just fine.  When I get home, I'll compare it with my iMac computer, and see what setting, if anything, is different.  

I did go through the list of folders in the left pane, and there were some things at the bottom that were out of place.  I deleted them.  All I see now in the left pane when I open up Lightroom, is the list of my folders under the _Lightroom_ folder, which is correct.

If I'm smart, when I get home, I will buy a high speed SSD, connect with Thunderbolt, and move ALL my Lightroom photos to that drive.  I've only got a 512 GB drive in my MacBook Pro, and I've already had to add an external 2TB drive mostly for video, as well as my 1 TB Time Machine drive.

I did get a reply as to what the + sign is in the Folders section, but not what the tiny thing to the right of the + sign is or does.  It's in the screen shot I posted, but it's hard to see unless the image is opened up.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 27, 2019 0
Dec 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hover your mouse over the icon and click  on it... you will see  the options available and related to creating a new folder. The tiny downward arrow that you see beside the plus sign  is a visual indicator that there are options for you to choose from.

To 'unstick' the folder you should be able to toggle the arrow to the left of  your  location. When you toggle this is should expand/collapse the file folders.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 27, 2019 0
Dec 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As stated by others, + some missed options, it is for Creating a New Folder anywhere your OS system allows you to Create a New Folder in (there are some parts of your drive that the OS will not allow you to alter, System sections) and gives you 2 other options, Views: > All Folders and Affected folders only.

That second option is for showing only the folder the import will be copied or moved to.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 27, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Dec 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I can continue to ignore both of them.  I don't see why I would ever want to do that.  At least not for now.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 27, 2019 0
Dec 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well I would select All Folders as I have that and I think that is the Default as I don't remember ever opening that + sign before or even if I had I don't remember changing anything in the View: section.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 27, 2019 0
Dec 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "+" to create a new folder comes in handy when you want to create a new parent folder (and select it at the same time) as the place for LR to create all the needed subfolders (normally date based) when doing anything other than an "add" import.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 27, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Dec 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ManiacJoe, THANK YOU!  I've been doing this a much more difficult way, that I learned in one of the Lightroom training videos.  That is very helpful information.  I plan to add a high speed external drive to my MacBook Pro when I get home (still trying to find which one to buy), and use the "+" to create a top level Lightroom folder on the new drive.  Then, if all goes well,  from within Lightroom I can drag my top-level _Lightroom_ folder into this new folder, and eventually, all my Lightroom files will be moved from my laptop's SSD to the new drive (maybe also an SSD).  I guess before I actually do that, I should ask here if it's safe to do this with such a large collection of files.  

Aside from that, simply as a way to instantly create a top level folder on a different drive, I can now use the + tool to do that.  That's not today's problem, but it's something I need to figure out in the next month or two.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 27, 2019 0
Dec 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I should ask here if it's safe to do this with such a large collection of files."

General opinion from many experts is that for a "large" or a total move of all image folders to another drive, it is best to 'Copy' with the operating system, then [Update] the folder locations in the Lr Folder panel. See "Option 1" in this link-

MOVING PHOTOS- 2 Methods

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 9.4, Lightroom 3.4, Photoshop 2020 (21.2.1), Nikon DSLR, Windows-10.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 28, 2019 1
Explorer ,
Dec 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure how to thank you enough for your advice about moving my Lightroom images to a new drive.  Last time I tried to help a friend do this, we found an opton in Lightroom that said it would do this, but it stopped after a while and never continued.

I figure I have a lot of reasons to do this - free up all that space on my laptop, make it a little simpler to do backups, and it will put an end to my current problem of having to drill down through all those folders to reach my Lightroom folder.

For several weeks I've been researching what kind of drive to buy, and I'm always getting different answers.  The current thought is to buy a 500gb SSD, and make that a dedicated drive only for Lightroom.  I'll wait until I get home, then buy from B&H.

(I've been using 1 and 2 TB drives for as long as I can remember for external drives, and maybe because I always try to buy "the best", I've never had a failure.  A SSD should be even more reliable, but apparently there are questions as to how long they will work - two years, ten, twenty???  I've also been told to avoid Lacie drives, which was another tempting solution, until the tech person at B&H told they're comparatively very slow because of the drive speed.  Anyway, that's a question for a different thread.)

When I get home to the USA, and compare my MacBook Pro to my iMac, I hope to find whatever setting is incorrectly set on the MacBook Pro, expaining why I no longer get the full folder list when importing.  I'll post that here in about four weeks or so.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 28, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing answered my original question, and neither did a phone call to Adobe Tech Support. 

The right pane, which used to show a list of all my folders inside my Lightroom library, now just shows Macintosh HD.  If I keep clicking, I can eventually get to the folder where I want to import my images to.

I want it to work like it used to, but nobody seems to know why it's "broken", let alone how to get it back to what it was before.

When I get home, and buy a new SS drive for my photos, this will no longer be an issue, as the top folder will already be my top Lightroom folder - that's all that will be on the drive.  In the meantime, I'm stuck.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 03, 2020 0