Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

export as catalog error

Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2020 Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I'm exporting an entire catalogue to a new location, but I'm getting the following messages. 

Can anyone advise at this regard? 

Many thanks,

Filippo

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Not if you Do It In LrC.

Any move done in the Folders section of LrC also corrects the catalog file entry for the move.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please include the screen captures in your message by clicking on the "Insert Photos" icon. Many of us will not download attachments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMG_8097.jpgScreenshot 2020-10-24 at 12.27.34.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your screen shot shows that the images you are tryhing to include in the Export As Catalog option are Missiing. You should see this in the LrC window in the Library module with the Grid view showing.

Post screen shot of that. And there is a very simple way to take actual Screen Shot on a Mac other than using a camera to take a picture of the screen.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361#:~:text=To%20take%20a%20screenshot%2C%20press,to%20save%20t....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've pressed ok and want onto looking for the missing pictures are not actually missing from the library module. How is that possible? 

Also, I don't understand if all the rest of the files were actually exported into the new location. Did LrC only skipped the element quoted in the error message, is that right? 

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Lightroom Classic use the menu command Library->Find all Missing Photos. The photos that can't be exported should be in there? Are they?

"Also, I don't understand if all the rest of the files were actually exported into the new location."

The message says they were. Did you look for them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, why are you exporting an entire catalog to a new location?

Why don't you just use your operating system to COPY the catalog to the new location?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to export the catalog with a new name to a new location. Can one change the name of the catalogue by using the COPY option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I can basically rename the catalogue name just by editing the file system name. 

For example, if I wanted to rename "Lightroom Catalogo SLOW FOOD 10/2020" into "Lightroom Catalogo SLOW FOOD xyz" I can simply rename with the same name the three files in the main folder ".lrcat"; "smart previews.lrdata"; "previews.lrdata". 
I won't get any error from lightroom when opening the catalogue again, right?  

Screenshot 2020-10-24 at 17.27.45.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need to Export a catalog, Export As Catalog, to Rename it or tpo move it to a different folder or drive.

Just Copy it to whatever drive or folder you want it in then Rename it and then Double Click on it. LrC will open and Load thatg moved and renamed catalog and then all you have to do is open the LrC Preferecnes and make sure LrC is set to open that catalog as the Default catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand. I've mainly exported as catalogue because the catalogue was a big mess and some files were also in other directories and it was sharing pictures with other catalogues.  I just wanted to be sure all the picture were in one place. If that makes sense. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NOTE:

The catalog name has to end with .lrcat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shetone,

The photos in your library are not kept in the Lightroom Classic catalog. They are in folders on a drive and are separate from the catalog. When you import photos to LrC, the catalog then knows where those photos are located and everything else about the photos but the photos are not in the catalog.

An important thing about this setup is that you have to back up your photos and LrC catalog separately.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally understand this, the problem was that some photos imported in LrC catalogue were situated in different locations (e.g. like different hard disks). It seemed to be the best option using Export as Catalog to make sure all pictures are in one location, as I'm in the process of clearing up space on both the main HD as well as external HD. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can just Move the files from one drive to another and or one folder to another.

You are making what you want to do Extremely hard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But if I move files from one folder to another then I'll have to re-link all the missing files, isn't it? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not if you Do It In LrC.

Any move done in the Folders section of LrC also corrects the catalog file entry for the move.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines