• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export File Format - can I delete xmp file without damaging the raw file?

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new to lightroom and photography, so my understanding of file structure is rudamentary, at best. I appreciate the help in advance!

I uploaded files directly to Lightroom CC. I did not save a hard copy elsewhere. Other than deleting and flagging/star rating the photos, I have not made any edits. When I export the folder, I now have both a nef raw file and an xmp file (this takes up double storage, of course). 

Since I did not make any edits to these photos, can I delete the xmp file whithout any consequence to my raw file?

The bigger picture/situation is that I did not realize that I purchased the CC version and am not trying to move to Classic. However, Classic does not keep my photos in the named files and instead just uploads the several thousand photos in on big unorganized batch. My understanding from ADOBE is that I need to export the files from CC to then re-upload in Classic. While I do this, I would like to keep a raw version on my harddrive. But of course, do not want to unnecessarily keep the xmp file (since there are not edits in it anyway) that takes up so much room.

I appreciate all help! Thank you....

Kylie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Generally the XMP files that are created are just a fraction of the size (a few kilobytes) of the actually Raw files since they only contain metadata related to the edits applied on the image. Since you have exported the Raw files along with the XMP files to a folder, you can remove the XMPs without any harm to the Raw files. Just to be on the safe side though, I would recommend moving the Raw files to a different location, leaving the XMP files behind & then deleting them after ensuring that you only have XMP files in the folder.

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines