• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export from External Drive

New Here ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My RAW images are kept in folders on my PC, from where I import them to Lightroom Classic.  Everything works great, export, resize, etc.  Then, using Lightroom, I move the folders to an external drive (archive).  When Lightroom exports images from the external drive, some folders are fast (like on my PC), others are extremely slow (to the point it does nto seem like anything is happening).  Even when I use Lightroom to move those "slow" folders back to my PC, they are still extremely slow to export... yet, other folders are unaffected.  None of the folders on my PC as affected, only some of the ones that are moved to the external drive.  The files are not corrupted.  What else could be the problem?  An unaffected file, Lightroom will export an 8x12 inch image within 2.5 seconds... an affected file takes 30 seconds.  The larger the file, the larger the export image, the longer the process, to the point that it seems to freeze.  I can still cancel the process and Lightroom continues to function.  Rebooting has no affect.  Please help!  Since this issue, I cannot Publish my larger images to my Publish Services.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Then Using Lightroom"?

Is that the traditional version or the newer Cloud based version?

You should not be running both version on the same computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am only using the one version, Lightroom Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the traditional version, not the Cloud based version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE:

After waiting 4 hours to publish 157 images to Flickr (noremally takes 30 minutes) Lightroom gave the message:

Warning

Can't update this collection.

Flickr API returned an error message (function upload, message Filetype was not recognized)

Not one of the 157 images were published to Flickr.

What can I do to fix this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That appears to be a problem with the flickr plugin. Do you see the same slowdown if you simply export to files on your desktop instead?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I do see the same problem when I simply export to my desktop.  My RAW images are kept in folders on my PC, from where I import them to Lightroom Classic.  Everything works great, export, resize, etc.  Then, using Lightroom, I move the folders to an external drive (archive).  When Lightroom exports images from the external drive, some folders are fast (like on my PC), others are extremely slow (to the point it does nto seem like anything is happening).  Even when I use Lightroom to move those "slow" folders back to my PC, they are still extremely slow to export... yet, other folders are unaffected.  None of the folders on my PC as affected, only some of the ones that are moved to the external drive.  The files are not corrupted.  What else could be the problem?  An unaffected file, Lightroom will export an 8x12 inch image within 2.5 seconds... an affected file takes 30 seconds.  The larger the file, the larger the export image, the longer the process, to the point that it seems to freeze.  I can still cancel the process and Lightroom continues to function.  Rebooting has no affect

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... and I am able to publish other images to Flickr, just not those same images that I am having trouble exporting.  I have several folders in which all the images are affected the same way, and other folders that are unaffected.  Either the entire folder's worth of images are affected, or none of them are affected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try emptying the camera raw cache (it's in preferences). Also are you running any antivirus software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the suggestions.  I emptied the cache and turned off my antivirus software, restarted my computer and tried again... no success.

I am open to other suggestions.

Like I said, only some folders are affected, not all of them.

Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for all your suggestions... still no resolution though.

Any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's your Lightroom version and what's your windows version? How is your external connected and what is it formatted as (i.e. NTFS or something else)? If you copy stuff (make sure you use a big many gigabyte folder of files to test) to and from the external drive do you get any hickups? Have you tried signing the flickr plugin out of flickr and back in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Lightroom Photoshop Classic, 10.0 Release, Camera Raw 13.0

Microsoft Windows 10 Home

Seagate Backup+ Hub, 10TB, NTFS

There are no issues with transfering files/folders to and from the external drive.

I have tried signing in and out of Flickr plugin, as well as creating an entirely new Flickr Publishing Service... no change.

The issue is that only some of my folders are affected, not all of them.  To me, this means a software issue is the cause.  I cleared the cache (in Preferences), but no change.  Why do some folders work fine, will others do not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you try with another external do you still have problems? Any special characters in the names of the folders you are exporting from? I am at a loss what could cause these issues. There is nothing special about how Lightroom Classic accesses files. They're all just standard system calls.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree... this is very frustrating... there should be no difference as they are all standard system calls.

My image file names are standard, such as "HIX_102.ARW"

My folder names are standard, such as "2020-10-25 HIX"

Never use "special" characters.

Currently, Lightroom is "Updating Published Collections", 100 images, for the past 3 hours, yet the progress bar has not moved, and Flickr has not recieved any new images.  😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this only happen when you are updating already published collections? I have problems with the flickr plugin for images I published a long time ago. For some reason those collections just do not want to republish when I did tiny changes. I forgot about that frustrating bug in the plugin. Do you have a bunch of publish folders defined in the flickr plugin?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If instead of using the publish service, you export the photos to a folder, then outside of LrC, you upload those to flickr .

How does that behave?

Yes, not the efficient way, just a diagnostic.

Seeing if a problem exists outside of LrC

P.S. see: https://help.flickr.com/fix-upload-issues-with-flickr-BJgMh3Xok7

https://havecamerawilltravel.com/lightroom/publish-to-flickr/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, yes... the issue seems to be with certain folders, not necessarily with Flickr.

The same folders that take an extremely long time to publish, are the same folders that also take an extremely long time to export. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I upload directly to Flickr, then there is no time lag...

But, Lightroom is giving me grief either way, publishing directly or exporting... 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows/EHD/

That External hard drive, does  it go into power save?

The USB port it is connected to, does that go into power save?

The USB controller, that USB port is wired to, does it go into power save?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is interesting... where would I find these settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines