Export ignores exposure correction

Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I´m using Lightoom Classic 9.2 at the moment. The following error occurs with this version and the one before and only with black and white pictures. Although not with all of them. I don´t find a regularity within this error. Using the same preset on a series of pictures (same camera, same lens, sampe import) and some of them aren´t correctly exported by lightroom. Lightroom completly ignores the exposure correction.

First picture: Exposure correction in Lightroom Classic. Second picture: The exported file.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bhadpgjul6anyvp/AAAGWSBGWSk06Wlx6k0gh-Gka?dl=0

I appreciate any suggestion. Thank you!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Todd_Shaner | Adobe Community Professional

Investigating further it appears this is a Nikon Z6 (and Z7?) camera specific issue with Smart Previews (i.e. Lossy DNG raw file format). Exporting the original Nikon Z6 NEF file to Lossy Compression DNG file format or using Smart Previews (reduced size Lossy DNG) with underexposed images causes an exposure offset to be applied to the image. The below RawDigger histogram shows the actual file raw data values with no white balance, camera profile or settings applied, which is about 3 EV underexposed from the highlight clipping point. I checked an underexposed Canon EOS 5D MKII CR2 file with a very simlar raw data histogram and there was virtually no difference in rendering between the the original raw file and full-size Lossy DNG export file with the same settings the OP applied to the Z6 NEF file. It only appears to happen with  underexposed Nikon Z6 files and only when Basic panel settings have been applied. 

Kai_Susanne_Engagement_009_RawDigger Histogram.JPG

Topics

Import and export, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Engaged ,
Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The library module and the develop module do not produce the preview the same way.

The Library module loads and shows the preview from the cache (the preview.lradata folder) whereas the Develop module doesn't use the preview in the cache but instead recalculates a preview using the develop settings.

Of course, when leaving the Develop module after changing some settings, it is supposed to update the peview in the cache so the Library module will show the same image.

Based on what you described, it looks like sometimes either the Library module doesn't reload the preview or the Develop module doesn't update the preview , wich would explain what you're seing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Investigating further it appears this is a Nikon Z6 (and Z7?) camera specific issue with Smart Previews (i.e. Lossy DNG raw file format). Exporting the original Nikon Z6 NEF file to Lossy Compression DNG file format or using Smart Previews (reduced size Lossy DNG) with underexposed images causes an exposure offset to be applied to the image. The below RawDigger histogram shows the actual file raw data values with no white balance, camera profile or settings applied, which is about 3 EV underexposed from the highlight clipping point. I checked an underexposed Canon EOS 5D MKII CR2 file with a very simlar raw data histogram and there was virtually no difference in rendering between the the original raw file and full-size Lossy DNG export file with the same settings the OP applied to the Z6 NEF file. It only appears to happen with  underexposed Nikon Z6 files and only when Basic panel settings have been applied. 

Kai_Susanne_Engagement_009_RawDigger Histogram.JPG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After some more testing this issue only appears when using Process Version 5 (PV5) with Highlights and/or Shadows settings applied. In fact it affects the NEF file rendering causing it to render about -1 EV in exposure (i.e. darker). Using Process Version 4 the NEF file, Lossy Compression DNG file and Smart Preview all appear near identical. Nothing was added in PV5 that would cause this.

However, I can only duplicate this issue using the OPs Kai_Susanne_Engagement_009.NEF file posted to Dropbox. None of the other Nikon Z6 and Canon camera files I tested exhibit the issue. The NEF file currently posted has Active D-Lighting set to OFF so that's not causing the issue. Thomas can you upload a few more NEF files that exhibit the issue and some similar NEF files that do NOT exhibit the issue. I'll check the camera settings metdata for differences, which may be the cause. I'll create a report at the Photoshop Family forum after further testing with your files. For now try using Process Version 4 with your normal editing and see if that fixes the issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Todd, sorry for answering so late. I´ve just uploaded one more with bug and in a separate folder one comparable without the bug. I´m going to check for some more later.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Thomas. I've examined all three NEF files and found a common camera metadata setting that may be causing the issue. The In-Camera Profile Setting = Camera Monochrome for all three NEF files posted to Dropbox. They all exhibit the issue when switching between Process Version 5 to 4. That includes the ASZ_9997.NEF file you says is "one comparable without the bug." Try changing PV 5 to 4 to see what I'm talking about.

Files checked:

Kai_Susanne_Engagement_009.NEF

Elena_Patrick_Engagement_049.NEF

ASZ_9997.NEF

Other Nikon Z6 files I downloaded don't exhibit the issue, but they all have in-camera profile settings of 'Camera Standard.' So that mey be a clue as to the cause.

What will help now is if you can change your camera's setting for 'Camera Profile' from Camera Monochrome to Camera Standard and shoot some more pictures. Shoot at both normal (10-400) and high (1600-3200) ISO setting just in case that's causing the issue. I found that increasing the LR Luminace Noise Reduction to 100 removes the issue and PV 5 and 4 rendering look correct and identical. Perhaps noise in the image is causing the image adaptive Highlights and Shadows controls to skew the relative exposure. Thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Todd!

Too bad I love the grain (noise) in the pictures, so increasing noise reduction isn´t my way. Neither is shooting in color 🐵

But thanks to Corona exit lock I have a lot of time and no wedding couples to shoot for the next months 😐

Maybe if I get the chance to shoot I won´t underexpose -1f what I normaly do.

Take care!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you should be able to fix it by just making sure to not select the monochrome picture style in your camera when shooting. Just keep it on the standard one.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Too bad I love the grain (noise) in the pictures, so increasing noise reduction isn´t my way. Neither is shooting in color"

Thomas, what I meant is that setting Luminance Noise Reduction to 100 should NOT have the effect of changing exposure (i.e. relative brightness) so it appears to be a bug. I'm not suggesting you do that!

What I would like you to try is to change your camera's profile setting from Camera Monochrome to Camera Standard. If that "fixes" the issue you have a solution for now and helps me in reporting the issue to Adobe Engineering. You can still apply the same LR B&W 3 profile and LR settings to achieve the desired rendering. Please give it a try and post a few of the NEF files with the camera set to 'Camera Standard' to Dropbox for examination. None of the Nikon Z6 files I examined with the in-camera 'Camera Standard' setting exhibit the issue. I'm willing to bet that should fix the problem, but we need sample files to prove this point to Adobe. Then they can provide a bug fix to correct the issue. Thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Todd,

I just added a few more files with settings set to camera standard and the same situation with setting set to monochrome to the dropbox. Hope it is enough to prove this to Adobe and they will bugfix it.

Best regards

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines