• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export image without changing dpi

Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to export the file as is no dpi changes. Or some plugin to help woth this seemingly simple problem?

Example:

5 images all edited to different sizes, eg 8x10 12x16 etc at various dpi for print.

When i export the dpi setting is fixed and messes up all the files. Now they are all one dpi and no longer theri respective sizes. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread might help:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/where-to-find-the-exportant-plugin-by-rob-cole/td-p...

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What software are you using that looks at the DPI value?

The DPI/PPI number is only useful during printing, and it is the first number discarded and recalculated by the printing software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Digital images do not have a DPI (dots per inch).

If you are referring to PPI (pixels per inch), you can determine the proper PPI by choosing the desired number of pixels in your print. If you want to have 240 pixels per inch and you are printing at 8x10, that's um ... 2400 pixels on the long edge, all of which can be set in Lightroom Classic's export dialog box.

The idea of exporting without changing PPI is meaningless, as the initial PPI of a digital file is also meaningless, why would you want to maintain a meaningless number? Why wouldn't you want a PPI relevant to your specific needs? As I stated in the previous paragraph, you should be picking the image size based upon your print needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export files specifically for printing. Do not export files for say sharing on social media or email, then use those for printing. If you are sending jpeg images out for printing, follow whatever instructions the print provider provides, set those settings at export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to use lightroom to keep my work organised. I photograph artwork and keep then at 100% print size for reproduction. Sorry it seems i meant PPI not DPI. So for argument sake lets use this example 18 x 24" @ 310PPI, or 5580px x 7440px. 

All i want to do is export this file to a folder with some name changes and maintain the dimensions. I have many images all with different PPI values so it doesnt work to export a batch with a fixed value. So 100%.

I guess I am looking at maintaining the Metadata, since the PPI is really just a description of the output size and has nothing to do with the actual data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think simplest way to keep this organized is to put the print size in the export filename as in:

Picasso-Guernica-20x50feet-300ppi.tif

The ppi tag in the export should also be there if you open in software that reads it such as Photoshop but you can't really count on it as lots of software ignores it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried exporting at different ppi and Lightroom Classic absolutely writes the metadata correctly in the file. Here is one exported 5" long side at 300ppi:

Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 5.27.34 PM.png

And here at 200 ppi 5" long side:

Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 5.28.03 PM.png

Metadata as viewed in Apple Preview. Same info is visible in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that, but I have to specify the PPI. I have many files each with different PPI. I want to export them in one go. So i need to Lightroom not to change my PPI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jons95519455 

I still don't understand what you are trying to do. Explain to us concrete examples of several exports from a single original, stating clearly what the desired output is and what the desired use of each export is.

And I still don't understand why you insist on not changing the PPI. The PPI is supposed to change depending on how large or small you are going to print the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I understand that, but I have to specify the PPI. I have many files each with different PPI. I want to export them in one go. So i need to Lightroom not to change my PPI."

See this reply in the thread I linked to previously:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/where-to-find-the-exportant-plugin-by-rob-cole/m-p/...

It explains how to use the Run Any Command plugin and the free Exiftool utility to set the PPI ("resolution") of an exported photo to that of the original master in the LR catalog.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh! I think I get what you are getting it. You are reimporting these exported images at different size and ppi settings back into the Lightroom catalog and track them inside Lightroom. Now when you need them you are reexporting them!! In that case, the trick is to select "original" as the file format. It will just copy the files to the new location and won't touch the dpi/ppi metadata.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"the trick is to select "original" as the file format"

...which only works if there haven't been any edits made to them since importing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure but that would defeat the whole described workflow. I doubt the OP is editing the resized images but yeah if you do than this doesn't work.

I question the need to do the workflow this way anyway but lots of people do this (keep exported files around). I think it is much easier (and not as hard on disk space) to keep virtual copies with different crops of your images in the catalog and export from those using the dpi setting, color space, and output sharpening settings you need and then after uploading those images to whereever they need to go to delete the exports. Keeping these files around is only useful if you need to export tens or hundreds of images at multiple sizes and ppis all the time and many times over from the same images. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope @jons95519455 will clarify the workflow. But another possibility is that the photos were edited in Photoshop or another program to set the PPI and then edited in LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link, I eventually muddled through and have managed to slap together the solution.

So here is a slightly more condensed version that might help someone else, osx only, pc version would differ slightly.

1. Install Jeffrey Friedl's plugin,  "run any Command" Search google for the web page etc, and donate to the man great work.  🙂

2. Then install Exiftool, Search google, install app.

3. When exporting, in the "run and command" plugin under command per image paste this exactly as is.

/usr/local/bin/exiftool -TagsFromFile '{FullMasterFile}' -XResolution -YResolution -ResolutionUnit '{FILE}' -overwrite_original

This should export the image with dimension data intact.

I appologise if there are any errors, but it seems to work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that, but I have to specify the PPI. I have many files each with different PPI. I want to export them in one go. So i need to Lightroom not to change my PPI.

We probably need to clarify WHAT you are attempting, before going further into the HOW.

Are you using the Export dialog to resize your photos?

Digital photos are sized in pixels (length x width). This is the easiest way to give the size.

The old way is to give the desired size in inches plus the PPI/DPI. However, after the size is converted into pure pixels, the PPI/DPI number does not mean anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok here goes.

1. I photograph an artwork

2. In Photoshop I edit artwork and size for print to match origional (eg 16x20" at whatever dpi it ends up being lets say 413dpi)

At this point I make various versions of the file for the client (web print email) and various print versions with borders or not.

It is now easy to take one of those files and run a print order.

If I import any one of those files into Lightroom and then decide I would like to print one, and click export, the dpi must be entered, in doing so I now have to enter the size aswell, this means I cant export many different files art once to print and have to manaully type in the size and dpi.

I am trying to use Lightroom as a place to do some editing and then store all the versions of the clients files (using stacks), making it much easier to manage multiple art pieces for each client.

So to get through all the fluff, why on earth cant we just leave the dpi setting blank and essentially export the file as is dimensions wise? seems like a simple problem, which leaves me stuck in bridge, jumping around folders all day.

thanks for all the feedback so far, much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To test my understanding: You set the PPI in Photoshop to record the physical dimensions of the original artwork in the image's metadata.  This makes it easier for you to send the image to a print service and have it printed at the original size of the artwork.  You make multiple versions in Photoshop, and you want to use LR instead of Bridge to organize all these versions. 

Two options:

1. If you're not making any edits in LR after you edit in Photoshop, use Jao's suggestion of setting the Export option Image Format: Original.  The exported file will be a copy of the original as edited in Photoshop, including the PPI.

2. If you're making edits in LR after editing in Photoshop, or if you want to keep the version in LR as a PSD or TIFF but export a JPEG, then you can't use Image Format: Original.  Instead, use the Run Any Command plugin and the free Exiftool utility as described in the link I posted above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines