Highlighted

Export JPG Size Error in Lightroom

New Here ,
May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use "Limit File Size" whenever I export my photos. There were no issues in the previous, but lately, they are not limiting the sizes to the sizes I wanted - they are always over the limit. For example, I set the limit to 150k, and the actual exported size comes to 205k. I did not change any edit methods, and I always able to keep the file size below the limit that I set. How do I makes sure that it stays under limit? I have the latest version Lightroom Classic - 9.2.1 - ever since this update, the issues with exports begun. Any advice? Thanks! 

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Export JPG Size Error in Lightroom

New Here ,
May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use "Limit File Size" whenever I export my photos. There were no issues in the previous, but lately, they are not limiting the sizes to the sizes I wanted - they are always over the limit. For example, I set the limit to 150k, and the actual exported size comes to 205k. I did not change any edit methods, and I always able to keep the file size below the limit that I set. How do I makes sure that it stays under limit? I have the latest version Lightroom Classic - 9.2.1 - ever since this update, the issues with exports begun. Any advice? Thanks! 

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 12, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a screen capture of the full export dialog window so we can see all the choices you have made. See the screen capture.

Screenshot 2020-05-12 at 10.35.07 PM.png

Regards, Denis: System iMac mid-2015, 5K 27” monitor, macOS10.15.7: LrC 10, Lr 4, Ps 22.0,; Camera OM-D E-M1.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 12, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having problems with the export. I need my pictures to be a certain size and previously I could change the size on export with a value of MB, now that value is in kilo and is very confusing. How can I change the defualt to be MB instead of kilo? I know I can use the slide for quality but that becomes a guessing game to be able to export jpegs from raw to be a certain size so that they can be uploaded to certain websites with size restrictions. Windows 10 and LR Classic.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 12, 2020 0
May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1,000kB is 1mB-  Do the math.   5,000kB = 5mB, etc.

Note that entering a size here is suggesting the 'Maximum' size file to export- Not an 'Exact' size.

And unless you export with a Pixel dimension down-size, Lightroom may not be able to compress the file to fit within a small 'Limit'.

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 10.0, Photoshop 22.0, Lightroom 4.0, Windows-10. Nikon DSLR.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 12, 2020 0
May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, it's as Wobert has advised. There are three thing that you can adjust for resizing for the web in the export dialog.

1. File settings, the quality slider will affect the file size on disk. In the screen capture I think 75 should be good enough.

2. Image sizing, set the number of pixels on the Long Edge to be somewhere between 480 and 1600, how high you go will depend on the viewing audience and what they are viewing on phone, tablet, computer, TV screen. The amount in the screen capture is good for phones and tablets. A bit higher for computers especially high-resolution screen.

3. Metadata, this also has a small effect on the actual image size on disk.

The image size that I created was 142 KB on disk. In Windows you can select the image in explorer and check the properties and it will show the size.

Screenshot 2020-05-13 at 6.16.32 AM.png   

Regards, Denis: System iMac mid-2015, 5K 27” monitor, macOS10.15.7: LrC 10, Lr 4, Ps 22.0,; Camera OM-D E-M1.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 13, 2020 1
New Here ,
May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Wobert, I am aware of the math for sizing. I did some more digging around and I believe I have found my solution.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 13, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the information, it helped to guide me to my solution.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 13, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 19, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use this setting for all my exports - never had problem with the sizes. Now I had to manually check their sizes in the image properties. I'm aware that metadata has some effect on the actual image size on disk size - but why is it start happening now? I have use this setting over a year now and never had this problem

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 19, 2020 0
WobertC LATEST
May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While testing for another forum thread I have noticed this same result! So also curious!

Exporting from a DNG that is 5934x3961 pixels- Two exports:

ScreenShot196.jpg

ScreenShot197.jpg

Results-

ScreenShot198.jpg

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 10.0, Photoshop 22.0, Lightroom 4.0, Windows-10. Nikon DSLR.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 19, 2020 0