• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export only EDITS (photo settings), without the photos themselves?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2019 Nov 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have (possibly) a bit weird question - is it possible to export just the "settings" (i.e. edits) made on certain photos in a particular catalog and import into another catalog? I am asking because I am having trouble with my roadtrip/office workflow.

When I'm out and about, shooting, I import into Catalog 1, on my MacBook and I sometimes do some edits within that catalog. Once I am back home and in the office, I want to transfer all of the roadtrip footage, along with any edits I made on the road, into my main catalog, Catalog 2 and footage onto a more robust storage solution.

I understand that there is an "Export Catalog" option, which should export everything in a "package" of a sort (both footage and all the potential edits made), which can then be imported into another catalog. I tried this once but this mesed up my main catalog (Catalog 2) which now whenever I try to "Synchronize folder..." asks about importing some thousands of photos even though I may have added just a couple of photos (it works quickly in that case but still, there is this message that I cannot get rid of).

Many thanks for replies!
A.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Import from another Catalog" is indeed the way to merge a roadtrip catalog into your office catalog, BUT you DO need the photos files to be copied also to the 'office' computer. The 'Edits' alone will not work.

(and "Synchronize Folder" is not the way assist this process. Dangers of Synchronize Folder )

A link to a video that might help- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My10kpBxeB0&feature=youtu.be

Lightroom Queen has a blog article- https://www.lightroomqueen.com/merging-catalogs-3-import-catalog/

Page 51 of the "Help PDF" also has a chapter- https://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/lightroom_reference.pdf

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ctrl + S writes an xmp alongside any proprietary Raw or embeds the xmp inside any tif, jpg or DNG. The xmp contains all the editing and can easily be read in clear in Notepad. It does not contain Library operations such as Flags, Stars, etc., or VCs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines