Highlighted

Export Original Raw Files WithOUT Sidecar XMP files.

Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Almost daily I export original raw image files from Lightroom in order to do some processing in Photoshop. 

All I want is the raw file that was originally imported from my camera's card, and no adjustments, etc.

But what I find are the raw files plus an equal number of matching .xmp sidecar files. These .xmp files clutter up the folder and make one more step in processing as I have to select the original files for opening in Photoshop.

Thus my quesiton: How do I export original raw camera files from Lightroom Classic without the accompanying sidecar files? Aperture never added the .xmp files to my exports.

Thanks for any help.

Topics

Import and export, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Export Original Raw Files WithOUT Sidecar XMP files.

Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Almost daily I export original raw image files from Lightroom in order to do some processing in Photoshop. 

All I want is the raw file that was originally imported from my camera's card, and no adjustments, etc.

But what I find are the raw files plus an equal number of matching .xmp sidecar files. These .xmp files clutter up the folder and make one more step in processing as I have to select the original files for opening in Photoshop.

Thus my quesiton: How do I export original raw camera files from Lightroom Classic without the accompanying sidecar files? Aperture never added the .xmp files to my exports.

Thanks for any help.

Topics

Import and export, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe you can use the option in the export dialog to export as original, and that will export the raw file only without creating the XMP file that contains the Lightroom adjustments. But then you aren't really going to edit the raw file in Photoshop, the raw file will have to be edited again in camera raw before it is converted and eventually opened in Photoshop. Photoshop cannot edit raw images. That's why Camera Raw is needed. You'll have to use Camera Raw to do the same thing you did in Lightroom, and then the image will have to be converted to a RGB image before it can be opened in Photoshop.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for those ideas.

As you suggest, I do use the Export -> File Settings -> Original setting to export my raw image files and Lightroom still adds the .xmp sidecar. All other options in the Export dialog are turned off, and I don't see any other options that would help.

(And yes, all my camera raw files do indeed pass through Adobe Camera Raw on their way into Photoshop, and I often use some of the Camera Raw adjustments. I really like the newish Adobe Color Profiles, for example.)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then why even bother importing the images the Lightroom? Just copy them to a folder on your hard drive and use Bridge. If you're using the current version of Lightroom, what's different in Camera Raw? Not criticizing your workflow, just curious. I thought Lightroom in Camera Raw had the same profiles.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, Lightroom (like Aperture which I used from the time it was first introduced) makes cataloging so easy. I've never used Bridge, but I find these good cataloging applications make it so easy to organize images, to add keywords and flags and colors, to search and display. to change metadata, etc. And Lightroom (and Aperture) automatically organize the input images into folders -- I don't have to think about creating folders, organizing them, naming them, etc.

I used Capture One for a while, once Aperture no longer supported my camera's raw files, but its interface has many flaws, and it handles large catalogs very very slowly. (I've got almost 200,000 images taking up almost 4 TB of hard drive space.)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So does Camera Raw have different profiles for you than Lightroom has? If you have everything up to date I thought the profiles should be the same in both.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea what profiles Lightroom has. I never use it for processing photos, only for cataloging, When it's time to process images, I open them in Photoshop.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds to me like you're just spending a lot of time spinning your wheels. But it's your workflow.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like "export" is not the command you want to get the raw files into Photoshop. Exporting a raw file does nothing more than copy the original raw file to a new location.

Since you are using LR to do your cataloging, which suggests you want the resulting PSD file coming back from Photoshop to also be cataloged, why not use the "edit in photoshop" command which does all the file passing back and forth for free?

Yes, the "edit in photoshop" is going to include all the LR edits based on your current location in the file's edit history. If you have done no actual edits in LR, that will not matter. If you have done edits, you can click on the start of the edit history and get the no-edit version of the file sent to Photoshop.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines