• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

export problem

Explorer ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed this very strange thing happening in Lightroom Classic (v10) when I export.

I have two files, the same photo:

1st is a .NEF with some adjustments on.

2nd .PSD is that NEF, exported to photoshop to add a layer to edit out a reflection on a window. 

I export both files from LR as JPGS, same crop, same parameters. The first is 900Kb, the second only 200Kb.

So it looks like I'm losing more than half of my file somewhere, where is the problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made some more tests: this only happens when I check the "resize to fit" to a "width & height".

It is a bug I think, the PSD loses 3/4 of its resolution compared to the NEF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resolution is not measured by file size. These are independent. One does not imply the other.

JPGs sizes can vary widely, depending on a lot of factors that you cannot control, and this does not indicate any bug or problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you, but beside the file size it looks also really bad compared to the other one

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but beside the file size it looks also really bad compared to the other one

Naturally, this depends on the settings you choose in the Export dialog box. We would need to see those settings and the original image and the exported image, we can't advise further.

But I agree with @Just Shoot Me , this is not a bug, this is a case where the user has selected the wrong settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it is Not a Bug. It is the Settings "You" have chosen in the Export Dialog Window.

Show us a screen shot of the Full Export dialog window with all the setting you normally use, including the Resize to Fit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you.

.NEF is 4912x7360 pixel

.PSD is the same

I crop in Lightroom both files to 1903x797 (strange resolution I know but it is needed for an app).

I export from Lightroom both files to Jpg at 80 and 1903x797 pixels.

Screenshot 2020-12-07 at 16.48.36.png

the first one is exported as a good looking 1Mb jpg, the second one is a 200Kb.

If I export without the crop files look similar and size is almost the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what reason are you Resizing To Fit. that is why you are getting really low File Size. And that you have the PPI set to 72. Se the PPI to 300 and test. Also if you can, it looks Greyed out, set the quality to 100.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, you are very kind but I think I'm not able to explain myself very well.

The problem is that with the same parameters the .NEF is exported correctly, the .PSD is not 

It looks like Lightroom handles differently the cropping of .NEF and .PSD, the same photo is generating two very different output files. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Different in what way? Can you show us? What are the pixel dimensions of both exports? The PSD has had some editing done to it that the NEF didn't have, that can also make a big difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you, pixel dimensions are the same. I'm exporting with exactly the same parameters (jpg 1903x797 pixels at 72ppi 80 quality)
the first file in the screenshot is from the NEF, the second one is from the PSD

Screenshot 2020-12-07 at 17.57.38.png

I have now tried to replicate this with another photo and for some reason it was impossible. So I don't know, it might depend on something on this particular image. Thank you very much for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok we asked for the Full Export window screen shot. You showed us 2 sections.

We asked to see the image difference that you are seeing on your screen, Screen shot of that. you posted nothing.

Best of luck to you. I have to Go Now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines