• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exported JPG colors very different than RAW preview in LR??

Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just got a new XPS 15 with the 4k display. Did my first editing on it last night. Portrait session. When I export a JPG at 100% quality using sRGB and all the same presets I've used in the past, the JPG is much too vibrant. Skin tones are red. Side by side, same calibrated monitor (Spyder5), there is an obvious difference between the image in LR and the exported JPG.

First noticed in the Win10 Photo viewing app. Tried a couple different viewing apps with same results.

I've checked all the output settings and everything looks as it should be. No weird import settings. I'm shooting Fuji RAF files as I've been doing for years.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the older "Windows Photo Viewer".

Alternatively, try re-importing one of your exported JPGs back into the Lightroom environment. You can then assess it directly alongside the edited Raw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My understanding is the older "Windows Photo Viewer" is not available without some trickery. I downloaded a couple other non native viewers with the same results.

Good tip on re-importing a JPG. I have only one image that I've processed on this new system. I'll import it and see what they look like side by side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check to see if your picture viewing program is color managed. Most (all?) of Microsoft's are NOT.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was one of my original thoughts. I've never cared for the Win10 native photo viewer as it just seems to not look good. I've tried a couple others with no luck. Do you have any recommendations on a good one to download and try?

Now this raises another question. As most of my work will be viewed in a web browser such as Chrome, should I be more concerned about how it looks in that? On my desktop with standard FN panel Dell monitor (calibrated with Spyer5) I never noticed a difference between LR, viewer, or browser.

Am I just used to the limitation of that old monitor and this new 4k display is showing more details? As in this was always a problem that I never knew existed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been a long-term fan of ACDsee for their viewer. (ACDsee.com) They have free trials but no free software.

You might look at FastStone.com. Their viewer is pretty good. Not sure if it is color managed since it has been years since I actually used it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, ADCSee is now color managed, and a good choice.

There is also the free Irfanview, and Adobe Bridge.

FastStone has a checkbox to enable color management, but it doesn't work - colors are over saturated on my wide gamut monitor.

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Jacob%20Carroll%20Photography wrote:

As most of my work will be viewed in a web browser such as Chrome, should I be more concerned about how it looks in that?

Most web browsers are now color managed, and should all display images correctly.

There are two exceptions - Internet Explorer and Edge - they will display over saturated colors and should be avoided on wide gamut monitors.

Am I just used to the limitation of that old monitor and this new 4k display is showing more details? As in this was always a problem that I never knew existed?

Your new monitor is wide gamut, which is why you are seeing over saturation in non-color managed applications.

With that kind of monitor, you must only use color managed applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines