Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exported JPG's different in Lightroom 8.3.1 vs 7.3.1

New Here ,
Nov 10, 2019 Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I've noticed that the exported JPG's with the same settings and same process version are not looking the same, when exported from the newer version of the Lightroom. There is clearly much more noise when I export the same RAW file from Lightroom 8.3.1. Also the files are more then 10% larger now.

Lightroom 7.3.1 ver. 4 (10.0)   -   5.252.215 bytes

Lightroom 8.3.1 ver. 4 (11.0)   -   5.815.437 bytes

Lightroom 8.3.1 ver. 5 (11.0)   -   5.971.150 bytes

So if the encoding didn't change with the new version of Lightroom, there has to be something wrong with the same process (10.0) in newer version of the Lightroom.

But if the encoding did change, than I don't see the point for the implementation of the previous processing versions, because the results are not the same. 

Here are the example photos compared in Lightroom:

7.3.1 v4 vs 8.3.1. v4 - noticeable difference7.3.1 v4 vs 8.3.1. v4 - noticeable difference

7.3.1 v4 vs 8.3.1 v5 - noticeable difference7.3.1 v4 vs 8.3.1 v5 - noticeable difference

8.3.1 v4 vs 8.3.1 v5 - allmost the same8.3.1 v4 vs 8.3.1 v5 - allmost the same

Anyway, for the same results, one would need to have both versions installed. 😞

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file size differences are easily explained by the fact that noisy images compress less well. Why the images are noisier I can't tell from your screenshots. The screenshots are way too small and they do not show any develop settings.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course the file size is different because of the noise. But the big question is, where does the noise come from?

Develop settings should have nothing to do with it, cause no changes were made. The old catalog was just opened up in a new version of Lightroom.

I just did some testing and my previous results match. I took the same photo, opened it up in a brand new catalog in 7.3.1, developed pictures with my exact previous settings and exported to JPG. Than I've opened that newly created catalog on another PC with 8.3.1 and just exported JPG with the exact same settings and the photos are different again. The one exported from 8.3.1 it's clearly noisier.

Now with the same newly created catalog opened up on both machines on the same monitor, I can clearly see that differences in Develop mode, too. It's much noisier in 8.3.1.

The one thing that also bothers me now is that the JPG from 7.3.1 was even smaller this time (4.562.029 bytes), while the one from 8.3.1 is almost the same size (5.815.165 bytes).  Yes, I did triple-checked the export settings. 🙂

Lightroom_731_v4_vs_831_v4.psd 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there is an issue Lightroom 8.3.1 will not be updated (you could try 8.4.1).  Update to Lightroom 9.0 and see if the issue still exists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

8.4.1 seems to be a little bit better, but still worse than 7.3.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Why don't you update to version 9.  If there are issues with previous version it will not be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines