• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting from Lightroom Classic, I get the message “The file could not be written.” How do I fix the problem.

New Here ,
Aug 02, 2019 Aug 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, as per the reference above, Lightroom won’t export my photos. It tells me “some export operations were not performed. The file could not be written.”

i have the 8.3.1 release, and it has been working fine. However, I have had the old hard drive on my Mac replaced with an SSD. Not sure if the problem coincides with that, or whether it happened in the days/weeks that followed. Be grateful for someone’s help. This is driving me nuts.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to export to a different location. You may have chosen a location that Lightroom has to permissions to write to.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2019 Aug 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Johan, Problem sorted, thank you very much. For some  reason they won’t save to hard drive but are ok in the cloud. Back in business. Whew!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 04, 2019 Aug 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

michaelb47206357  wrote

Hi Johan, Problem sorted, thank you very much. For some  reason they won’t save to hard drive but are ok in the cloud. Back in business. Whew!

Did you try different locations on your hard disk? Did you try exporting to the Pictures folder or to the Documents folder? Did you check the permissions of that exact folder you are trying to export into, to see if you have write permission to that folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 04, 2019 Aug 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

michaelb47206357  wrote

Lightroom does not have permissions to write to the root of the internal hard drive. You should be fine if you choose a location inside your Home folder, such as your Pictures folder. Or any external hard drive.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michaelb,

Sorry that you're getting an error message that says "some export operations were not performed" while trying to export images from Lightroom Classic 8.3.1 from your Mac.

It seems you do not have the right set of read/write permissions to export to that file. You may take a look at this article to export the file Repair disk permissions by running Disk Utility | Mac OS X 

Let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2019 Aug 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Akash,  I tried running Disk Utilaity but it hasn’t solved the problem unfortunately. However (see above) by exporting photos from Lightroom to iCloud Drive I seem to be in business. Maybe I didn’t run the Disk Utility properly. Anyway, I’m back in business. So for trying to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines