Highlighted

Exporting Fuji RAW files as jpg

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi I'm having difficulty with resolution whilst exporting two Fuji RAF files to jpg, seems although I'm exporting them at 300ppi they are coming out at 1.7MB per file which is weird. I've double checked all my settings in the export dialogue but can't see anything abnormal..

any suggestions would be most welcome.

thanks

dirk

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi I'm having difficulty with resolution whilst exporting two Fuji RAF files to jpg, seems although I'm exporting them at 300ppi they are coming out at 1.7MB per file which is weird. I've double checked all my settings in the export dialogue but can't see anything abnormal..

any suggestions would be most welcome.

thanks

dirk

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 23, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I'm having difficulty with resolution whilst exporting two Fuji RAF files to jpg, seems although I'm exporting them at 300ppi they are coming out at 1.7MB per file which is weird."

Nothing weird about it. Seems like a correct result to me. What is the problem?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are three factors that affect the file size of a jpg, and ppi is not one of them. (ppi is metadata used to calculate print dimensions)

• Pixel dimensions
  • Quality setting
  • Image content

Assuming that pixel dimensions and quality setting stay constant, image content can have a huge influence on file size.

Images with large flat or smooth areas (or out of focus) will compress well, and will have a small file size.

Images with lots of sharp, busy detail, or noise, will not compress well, and will have a large file size.

The difference in file size between these two types of images can be quite dramatic, so you cannot use file size to determine the quality or resolution of a jpg.

The best way to judge the quality of any image, is to examine it at 1:1 (100%) view.

This is the only view that gives you a true representation of the image, because one image pixel is represented by one screen pixel.

If you have a 4k or higher resolution monitor (3k or higher for laptops), you may need to view at 200%. I have a laptop with a 14" screen and 3000 x 2000 resolution, and I always use 200% to judge image quality.

The pixels on these monitors are so small that everything tends to look sharp, and using 200% will let you distinguish between really sharp and not quite sharp images.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 1
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Per

youve taught me something new here! 
kind regrds

dirk 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0