• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting high resolution images

Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm loosing a lot of quality and image size when exporting jpeg images from lightroom, for ex. from a 6000 X 4000 image with 19.9 mb  to 2560 X 1707 with 4.89 mb.  Please, could anyone tell me how to export them without loosing too much size and resolution.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

The fact that your exported image size is exactly the same pixel dimensions as those of Smart Previews strongly suggests you are exporting from the S.P. and not the original out-of- camera file. The dimension 2560 on the long side is unusual enough that a coincidence is unlikely. A possible scenario - during import you inadvertently checked the "Make Smart Previews" in the right side panel on the Import page; at some later time the original files were moved using another application, or the driv

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, the original 6000 x 4000 image is a raw image that is 12 bit or 14 bit data which makes it much larger and accounts for it being this size that you stated. Your exported image has been cut in half pixel size-wise, and is probably a JPEG. If you don't want to sacrifice much in quality then don't resize the image. But the JPEG by nature is going to be significantly smaller in size. If you don't resize it so that it is still 6000 x 4000 pixels you should expect to see an image that is approximately 6-7 MB in size. But that will definitely depend on the contents of the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, the original image is not raw is jpeg, but I wonder why it has been cut a lot.  I'm not resizing the image when exporting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing that would convince me that you have a loss in quality is if you actually LOOKED at the exported photo and saw the loss of quality.

The numbers you have stated do not indicate a loss of quality.

The loss in image size is because somewhere in the process, YOU instructed Lightroom to change the image from 6000x4000 to 2560x1707.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But, I didn't instruct lightroom to change the size; I didn't check the box to resize the image.  So, what indicates loss in quality and how can I keep the image the same size or at least near its original size?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have either cropped the image, or changed the size at export, or you are using a Smart Preview instead of the original. Those are the only three ways to go from 6000x4000 to 2560x1707.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I didn't crop or changed the size at export. How can I find out if Im

using the Smart Preview?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually saw at the exported image and when I zoom in, to me it looks like it lost quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screenshot of your export dialog settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using a Smart Preview, then it should say so directly under the histogram in the Library Module.

Zooming in on an image will make every image look like the quality is low. Doesn't mean a thing. You want to view the image at approximately the size it is going to be used at.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'll do it when I get home.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you again JimHess, but I now have the correct answer.  I was was working with the wrong external hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What settings would you recommend to export high resolution images for print and for facebook?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact that your exported image size is exactly the same pixel dimensions as those of Smart Previews strongly suggests you are exporting from the S.P. and not the original out-of- camera file. The dimension 2560 on the long side is unusual enough that a coincidence is unlikely. A possible scenario - during import you inadvertently checked the "Make Smart Previews" in the right side panel on the Import page; at some later time the original files were moved using another application, or the drive they are on became disconnected from the computer, or the names (of the files or the drive) were changed or they were deleted. From that moment you were editing Smart Previews without paying attention to the notice under the histogram.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I think it makes sense, what you're telling me. Is it may because I put

the memory card into the computer to transfer the images to an external

hard drive? Nevertheless, right now, I have the external hard drive

connected to my computer and I still get my exported images about half the

size. I would greatly appreciate if you give suggestions on how to do it

correctly. I'm not a professional photographer, nor an expert in Lightroom.

Thank you,

Carolina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Continuing with my response, yes, I had disconnected the external hard

drive. After reading your message, I went back to lightroom and checked on

my histrogram, and noticed the that I had connected the wrong external hard

drive, meaning I was editing Smart Previews. I, then connected the correct

hard drive, then exported one image and it exported it with the original

dimensions.

Thank you so much

On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 7:04 PM, Carolina Lainez <carolinalainez12@gmail.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What settings would you recommend to export high resolution images for print and for facebook,in the same export?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines