• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting images from Lightroom resized in Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imported images to Lightroom then opened them in photoshop to resize them for IG ... sent them back to Lr to export. My question is when exporting from Lr do I still check 'resize to fit' if I resized specifically in Ps?

thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you haven't given us even a single detail about what you did, the only answer I have for you is "maybe".

Why don't you resize the photo for IG using Lightroom Classic? Seems a lot simpler than transferring to Photoshop and then back to Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no need to send images to Photoshop for resizing, you can resize when exporting from Lightroom.

But if the image already has the correct dimensions, do not check Resize to fit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I resize them in Ps to add a canvas as they are are large files that I don't want cropped in Instagram. Is there a way to do that in Lightroom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I resize them in Ps to add a canvas as they are are large files that I don't want cropped in Instagram. Is there a way to do that in Lightroom?

By @aimeecp

You could use the Print Module to 'Print' to a JPG file. You can adjust the cell size to get a 'canvas' around the image.

DS256_0-1614631065594.pngDS256_1-1614631101925.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, thank you! I'll give it a go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In its standard exporting options, LrClassic cannot pad out to a defined canvas size with a defined background colour (unfortunately).

However one way to do that is by the export settings calling in a commandline image utility such as ImageMagick, to postprocess each exported image in turn according to some standard instructions, before saving that out.

Another way is to achieve the same thing by recording a PS Action, creating that as a "droplet", then calling this droplet as LrC export postprocessing.

Another way is to make use of the Print module instead, and choose JPG as your output (this can be done for a batch of chosen images). This allows some kinds of added graphics or text, simple frames, etc to be shown. But one disadvantage of the Print method, is that its output won't reflect any particular source image's filename / other metadata: it is created entirely fresh. After all: such a page-layout may often comprise more than one image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! I'm going to look into those options. I definitely need to set up some kind of preset  or action for batch resizing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ImageMagick postprocessing that I refer to, is what happens with the LR/Mogrify plugin described by DdeGannes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this case, it will be a template.

Just create your layout in the Print module and save it as a template, then you can apply it to any picture(s) in one click.

It's possible to export (Print to file...) just one pic or many of them in one go.

Photo-editing (Ps/Lr/LrC) and photography workshops & one-on-one training (off- and online)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Perfect, thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a LrC Plugin for export options with some useful features that are worthwhile checking out. Lr/Mogrify by Timothy Armes.

Screenshot 2021-03-01 at 6.32.20 PM.png

Ok so here is an example export to 1200 pixels x 800 pixels with canvas expansion and inner border at reduced opacity.

P2210042-236.jpg

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines