Highlighted

Exporting photos with metadata text overlays and File naming them accordingly

New Here ,
Nov 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

We need to export many photos from a catalog that have some metadata fields that need to be overlaid.  We also need the file names to match these matadata fields.

Fields are:  "Copy Name" - "Title" - "Caption"

We'd like to show the photo with these 3 fields overlaid on it (we achieved this with Slideshow), but when we export JPGs from the slideshow we're getting a generic name for the file.  What we need is name to be like this:

Copy Name - Title - Caption.jpg

Whe are able to export files with filenames like that from the catalog (not the slideshow), but if we do from catalog, we can't find a way to add text from these fields overlaid.

In summary:

1) we can achieve file naming exporting JPG from catalog

2) We can achieve text superimposing exporting from Slideshow

Does anyone know how to achieve both?

Thank you!

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Exporting photos with metadata text overlays and File naming them accordingly

New Here ,
Nov 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

We need to export many photos from a catalog that have some metadata fields that need to be overlaid.  We also need the file names to match these matadata fields.

Fields are:  "Copy Name" - "Title" - "Caption"

We'd like to show the photo with these 3 fields overlaid on it (we achieved this with Slideshow), but when we export JPGs from the slideshow we're getting a generic name for the file.  What we need is name to be like this:

Copy Name - Title - Caption.jpg

Whe are able to export files with filenames like that from the catalog (not the slideshow), but if we do from catalog, we can't find a way to add text from these fields overlaid.

In summary:

1) we can achieve file naming exporting JPG from catalog

2) We can achieve text superimposing exporting from Slideshow

Does anyone know how to achieve both?

Thank you!

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not something that LR does. the only overlay LR can apply is a Watermark. But I don't think that would work fpr your needs.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.  I can get the overlay in the Slideshow section... but not the custom naming when exporting 😞 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should probably pay more attention to what the frequently mentioned plug-ins actually do....

Is there a plug-in that does text overlays?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://www.photographers-toolbox.com/products/lrmogrify2.php

This processes the exported files and adds all sorts of extra text information.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Advocate ,
Nov 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Print module it is possible to set up a limited Exif-based text box in the margins, as seen below. You have a choice of displayed info and font size, but it is apparently impossible to select more than one field.

Untitled-12.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nano09-

I think the best answer is that from John Beardsworth- "LrMogrify" plugin.

elie_di-

"apparently impossible to select more than one field."

I am  not sure what you mean by this.

There can only be one 'Photo Info' field but it can be customised to include multiple metadata information. Create a Custom Preset from the "Edit..." option.

ScreenShot119.jpg

ScreenShot120.jpg

This is close to the requirements of Nano09, but the limitation is that "Print to File" needs a new Filename, but Lightroom will create multiple new files, from multiple selected photos, with the new Filename-  File(1), File(2), File(3), etc. Only the original filename  be shown on the exported files, if included in the Preset.!

ScreenShot122.jpg

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 9.4, Lightroom 3.4, Photoshop 2020 (21.2.1), Nikon DSLR, Windows-10.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nano09 LATEST
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone.  I can confirm that this plugin for LR does exactly what I need.  Haven't tested in Windows, but it works perfectly in LR for Mac.

LR/Mogrify 2

https://www.photographers-toolbox.com/products/lrmogrify2.php

I added all the metadata I needed to overlay on top of the photos and exported from the library directly with the naming convention as I needed. Worked perfectly and didn't even need to leave Lightroom!

Cheers 🙂 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines