Exporting Presets in LRCC10

Contributor ,
Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What am I doing wrong here?

I've gone to the effort of creating non-camera-specfic (i.e. 'general') profiles through ACR, and made presets with those profiles. I'm trying to export those presets now from LRCC the usual way (export presets from Develop module) which it does. I'm given a bunch of .XMP files which I expected. 

The pain starts when trying to import these presets to my other computer running LRCC10, too. 'Import Presets' "tells" me that it was successful, but none of these new presets appear. I've enabled and disabled both the radio boxes for "save presets with catalog" and "show partially compatible presets" and have restarted LRCC a bunch of times. My presets simply do not appear. When I repeat the import-presets action, it tells me that they've already been imported. I can't even find clear information as to whether my custom profiles are actually included in the XMP preset or not. 

What's going on here? 

Subsequently, when I ask LRCC to 'show LR presets folder' it opens up a window showing other folders but no indications as to where presets actually "live". 

TOPICS
How to, Import and export, Presets or profiles, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

1 Correct Answer

Most Valuable Participant , Nov 25, 2020
johnrellis Most Valuable Participant , Nov 25, 2020
To test my understanding: You created in ACR what Adobe calls a "creative profile", a .xmp file that shows up in the Profile menu of Develop.  You then created a preset from a photo using that profile, checking the box Treatment & Profile. You exported that preset and tried to import that preset into LR running on another computer, but it's not working.    If that's accurate, then the cause is straightforward: Presets refer to profiles by name. When you imported the preset to another computer, y...

Translate

Translate
Jump to answer Jump to answer
Most Valuable Participant ,
Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To test my understanding: You created in ACR what Adobe calls a "creative profile", a .xmp file that shows up in the Profile menu of Develop.  You then created a preset from a photo using that profile, checking the box Treatment & Profile. You exported that preset and tried to import that preset into LR running on another computer, but it's not working. 

If that's accurate, then the cause is straightforward: Presets refer to profiles by name. When you imported the preset to another computer, you didn't also import the creative profile to which it referred.  To copy the creative profile, in the original computer, go to Develop, click the Profile menu, Browse, and find the creative profile. Right-click it and do Show In Finder / File Explorer. Copy that file to the desktop of the new computer. Do File > Import Develop Profiles and Presets and select that file. Now the preset to which it refers should show up.

LR should show an error message when a preset refers to a non-existent profile. But that's par for the course with the "new" presets and profiles introduced in LR 7.3 -- Adobe did a sloppy job of implementing it and there are still many rough edges confusing users.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Contributor ,
Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John, you're quite right - It's a confusing topic and Adobe doesn't provide a warning for Profiles that are missing. In fact, profiles are still a bit of a mystery, even to Adobe evangelist Julianne Kost who, during her video explaining how to create profiles, got a couple of steps wrong as pointed out in the comment box below the vid (sorry I don't have a link). In any case, your solution was correct. I imported the profiles and the presets showed up right away in Lightroom. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you got it resolved.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines