Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

External disk invisable in library

New Here ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Because my hard disk of my computer is getting full I would like to move my library to an external disk. I want to do that in the library page to be sure not to loose pictures. But while preparing for that I can’t see my external disk any more on the left part of the library page.

What should I do to find my external disk back in the library page?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

LEGEND , May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Lightroom has a history of not always successfully moving large numbers of files.

The best thing to do is to use Mac Finder or Windows File Explorer to copy the image folder tree(s) to the new drive. Then in LR, right-click on the top-most folder(s) in the Folders panel and "relocate" the upper folders to the new drive. (LR will auto-fix all the subfolders and their images.) After you verify that all is good, you can use Finder/Explorer to delete the image trees off the old drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

If I understand you correctly, the external drive is not appearing in the Folders panel.

If  it did appear before, make sure that the drive is connected, and that you can see it in the operating  system.

If it is connected and visible in the OS,  try restarting Lightroom, or restarting your computer.

If neither of these help, try resetting the preferences.

See https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/ 

Note that if you haven't imported any images from the drive, it

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

You can easily fool Lightroom into thinking that the new drive is the old one, so you do not even have to 'relink' folders. In MacOS X, copy all the images to the new drive, give the new drive the exact same name as the old one, and either disconnect the old one or rename it. Then start Lightroom. In Windows copy the images to the new drive, disconnect the old drive and make sure that the new drive gets the drive letter that the old drive had. Then start Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom has a history of not always successfully moving large numbers of files.

The best thing to do is to use Mac Finder or Windows File Explorer to copy the image folder tree(s) to the new drive. Then in LR, right-click on the top-most folder(s) in the Folders panel and "relocate" the upper folders to the new drive. (LR will auto-fix all the subfolders and their images.) After you verify that all is good, you can use Finder/Explorer to delete the image trees off the old drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ManiacJoe,

Thanks for the fast answer. Since Per wrote me that the external disk does not appear in the Folders Panel until I download a photo from that disk. It is very stupid of me that I did not realise that before because I now remember that I read about that before. 

Nevertheless thanks a lot. I will store your answer in case I will need it in future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understand you correctly, the external drive is not appearing in the Folders panel.

If  it did appear before, make sure that the drive is connected, and that you can see it in the operating  system.

If it is connected and visible in the OS,  try restarting Lightroom, or restarting your computer.

If neither of these help, try resetting the preferences.

See https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/ 

Note that if you haven't imported any images from the drive, it won't be visible in the Folders panel.

I agree with ManiacJoe that it's better to use the OS to move the files, and then reconnect them in Lightroom.

There is also a rare bug that deletes files when moving a large number of them inside Lightroom, although I haven't seen any mention of it for a long time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Per,

Thanks for the fast answer. One sentence in your post brought me back on the right track. It was stupid of me that I did nor remember that the external disk does not appear in the Folders Panel until I load up a picture from that external disk to my Folders Panel. I feel ashamed about it a bit because I remember now that I read something about that before.

Nevertheless I will save your answer in case I get into trouble again with this external drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can easily fool Lightroom into thinking that the new drive is the old one, so you do not even have to 'relink' folders. In MacOS X, copy all the images to the new drive, give the new drive the exact same name as the old one, and either disconnect the old one or rename it. Then start Lightroom. In Windows copy the images to the new drive, disconnect the old drive and make sure that the new drive gets the drive letter that the old drive had. Then start Lightroom.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2020 May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Johan,

Never realised that the solution could be that simple. Thanks!

Hans

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines