• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

EXTREMLY Slow / Freezing on "Import" Pressing

Contributor ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So for the last few days I've been entirely unable to use Lightroom Classic.  I open it, head to my Library and click "Import" to get started.  And as soon as I do my mouse wheel starts the little blue spinning circle, and that's all she wrote for the next 5 minutes.  Eventually the box to Import opens, but it doesn't load my file structure and if I open task manager its listed as "Not Responding".  And it isn't like it is overwhelming my PC, my CPU is basically NOT being utilized during this (2% at the moment), and my Memory is sitting at 8GBs used out of 32GB (of which 1.3GB is Lightroom).  I can keep using my PC just fine because Lightroom just... gave up? I'm typing all of this now while Lightroom is "trying" in the background.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Lightoom to no effect.  Its exactly the same.  My PC has had zero issue with Lightroom until now.

Lightroom Version: 10.1.1

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X (8-core)

RAM: 32GB G.skill 3600mhz

Storage Drives: 2x M.2 SSD (for work files), 1x 2.5" SSD (for OS & where LR is installed) 1x 2TB HDD (for backup, basically unused).

GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me I,ve given up and installed an older addition

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2021 Jul 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i've encountered the same issues, where i already disconnected my external HDD just to test whether it was bottlenecking everything or it's just Lightroom Classic messing with me

i've not been able to import a single photo without it freezing, and seems like my current catalog is corrupted thanks to that.

the one thing i have in common with you is i'm using an AMD processor, as below:

OS: Windows 10 (latest, by the time of writing this reply)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100

RAM: 16GB OLOy 3800Mhz

Storage Drives: NVMe SSD (with Lightroom in it, and i've tried putting the files on the SSD), and an external harddrive for backup photos (tried disconnecting it, seems like it doesn't affect it at all)

GPU: MSI RX580 8GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please do some testing for hardware problems ... such as a bad camera card; or a bad card reader.

Please do not jump to conclusions about a corrupted catalog or Lightroom "messing" with you (without a lot more evidence).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for answering.

All of my hardwares are infact considered new, i purchased it a few weeks ago, i've been able to use the latest Photoshop without problems. this external harddrive is used with my old laptop, which somehow can run version 10.1.1 flawlessly (albeit very weak). the difference? it uses an Intel i7-7500U, and an NVIDIA MX150.

Setting aside the external harddrive, i've moved the folder of photo i was going to edit to my main boot drive (the NVMe SSD in the PC), and disconnecting the harddrive. To see if it was the harddrive messing with me. Turns out Lightroom freaks out on me once again.

i've tried downgrading from 10.3 to 10.1.1, failed, then tried 9.4. Still failed. all of them freezed up on Import dialog. Mind you, this is a new PC, one i've tested thoroughly with stress tests and benchmarks, and even used photoshop regularly.

at this point i don't care about my catalog, but everytime Lightroom does this, i restarted Lightroom and the only message it shows me is "This catalog is currently being used". Lightroom won't start unless i pressed the "create new" button (yes, i've tried creating multiple catalogs just to try getting it to work).

Thanks for replying, sorry if i look really angry, i am trying to suppress it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, sorry for being rude since i am not the owner of this post.

Just to add some evidence, this is a freshly installed Lightroom Classic, version 10.3, running a test catalog with literally empty photos/videos. below is a screenshot attached for comparation on how Lightroom gives up on doing anything (just like what the original poster said).

yes, all of the photos are accessible. Why do i know that? because i've tried checking them one by one with Camera Raw on Photoshop. it loads quick, maybe under 5secs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing you did not mention, a cold boot of your Windows computer, nit just a warm boot, a cold boot, turn it off, wait a few, turn it on.

Any change?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, a have sam problem on my PC (spec bellow) but is slowweeeer. After drag and drop 29 ARW files to Lr im waiting ~10mins... its not end.. After next 10min i see completly import window with my photos but if i click on Lr window then freeze. 
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X
RAM: 32GB
GPU: GTX 1060ti
OS and Lr on SSD but Lr catalog in on 8TB HDD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines