Facebook compression versus quality

New Here ,
Jul 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

facebook has changed over the years the requirements to shows a photo at its best quality possibly. What is the current best export configuration to avoid o diminished the compression. I'd tried several times but always with mediocre results. Dimished brightness and sharpness, opaque colors, etc. I always use jpeg at 960 pixels on the large side.
Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
LEGEND ,
Jul 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To tell you the truth, I don't usually have any problems with Facebook showing my photos at diminished quality. I upload at 1200 on the long side, they look fine on Facebook to me.

But (hint hint hint) there's plenty of advice on the internet on this subject.

Also, if you are experiencing "dimished brightness and sharpness, opaque colors", these are usually not compression issues at all, there's something else wrong.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks but don't answer what I'm asking.
Of course I done a research. Parameters has changed continuously over the years as FB change their compression.

Regards

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, Facebook is a terrible thing to do to pictures.

The size limits are not overly bad, but the aggressive recompression can be a killer.

See if any of these links help any. (I cannot vouch for their accuracy.)

https://havecamerawilltravel.com/photographer/images-photos-facebook-sizes-dimensions-types/

https://louisem.com/120414/facebook-image-dimensions

https://www.postplanner.com/ultimate-guide-to-facebook-dimensions-cheat-sheet/

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
DexterGordon AUTHOR LATEST
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much, ManiacJoe.

Checked. I had visited tons of those kind of sites with current instructions to get the best results over the years, but not always were true. lots of tutorials on youtube, etc. Maybe people are too acustomiced to check social media only with a cell phone, son good photo quality is not an issue to the vast mayority. But mayority, with no visual training, wont set the rules about what is good quality.
Yes agreed, facebook is not a good place for photographers. Instagram is even worse. Flickr has better results but the comunnity is not connected with particular scenes that I working in.

Regards.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines