Nov 27, 2020 Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am using following Software:

LR Classic 10.0

CR 13.0

MacOS 11.0.1

When there are two files of the same name and different filetype, LT treats these two files as one file!?

e.g.: two files in one folder:

test.jpg

test.mov

LR only shows the video file but when you change the filename within lightroom, it changes both file names (without the extension).

This corrupts my whole catalogue! I tried this with different files and it is reproducable.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post a bug report in the feedback forum if this happens and you have selected treat jpeg files next to raw files as separate photos selected in LrC preferences. See screen capture.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/topics/lightroom-classic/5f5f2093785c1f1e6cc40872

Screenshot 2020-11-27 at 7.03.18 AM.png

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This checkbox seems to work for me, thanks! But in case you uncheck this, why is a video file treated as a raw file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No idea since I do not use mov files., maybe another user can provide the answer. Is the jpeg captured while sorting the video?

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

"But in case you uncheck this, why is a video file treated as a raw file?"

Some cameras create JPEG "sidecars" to hold video metadata (similar to how a .xmp sidecar holds metadata for a raw).   Some of these cameras used the .jpg extension for these sidecars, and some used .thm, even though the file is a JPEG (e.g. Sonys).  I'm not sure why the cameras do this, since the Quicktime and MP4 standards fully support metadata, including XMP metadata.

Regardless, when Treat JPEG Files Next To Raw Files As Separate Photos is unchecked, LR treats X.jpg and X.thm as sidecars for X.mov and X.mp4 (and perhaps other video formats as well) and reads metadata for the video from them (e.g. capture date).  You can see that in the Metadata panel:

Untitled.png

The name of the option is indeed confusing.  It would be more accurate to call it:

"Treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos, and treat JPEG and THM files next to video files as sidecars."

I think the Adobe product manager/developer responsible for this opted for short over accurate.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines