• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fetching initial previews takes hours

Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since a while, after Lightroom is done importing the photos I selected, it starts "Fetching Initial Previews". It takes like forever and I can't figure out what Lightroom is actually doing and how to turn it off. Does anyone know what Lightroom is doing and how to work around this? I didn't have this "issue" before, also not when I imported like 1000+ photos at once. I've added a screenshot, you can see the progress bar I'm talking about in the top left corner.

Thanks!

Screenshot 2020-08-08 at 19.46.54.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

I've never seen that 'Fetching' message either. It probably cmes up because it does indeed take much more time than usual.

There is a 'Featured' thread here about setting camera defaults: Lightroom Classic: Set defaults for raw file import

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of the Mac OS?

Which version of Lightroom?

Where are the original images located?

Where are the catalog and preview folders located? How much space is left on the drive?

Does the problem continue if you pick "standard" previews?

If you use the Mac process/resource monitors, can you see any obvious bottlenecks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 09, 2020 Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So people don't have to download the image you have attached to your post please Edit your post to remove the Attached screen shot and Include it in the body of the text of your post.

You do that by Clicking the "More..." link at the bottom of your post, Selecting "Edit Message" and then use the "Insert Photos" icon in the tool bar at the top of the Post/Reply/Edit dialog box like this.

2020-06-07 19_13_42-Camera Raw Brush tool problem - Adobe Support Community - 11189555.png
Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have imported the images with the 'Embedded & sidecar' option for previews. That means that Lightroom initially uses the embedded previews made by your camera. Even though that is faster than letting Lightroom render its own previews right away (it will have to do that eventually), it still takes time to read 1000+ images to get these previews. It could possibly take more time if your hard disk is getting full.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I noticed my hard disk is getting full, so I will work on that first 🙂 But I can not remember seeing the process of "Fetching Initial Previews" before, or am I wrong?

Once I enter the develop module, it adds a lot of contrast and contrast to my photos, which (I think) look horrible and don't like as a starting point for processing. Is it because of the color profile (Adobe Color)? When I select Adobe Neutral, it looks much better. On my Nikon D810, I've got 'Set Picture Control' on 'Flat' and would like to use those settings (or as close as possible) as a starting point in Lightroom as well. Is there anything else I can do to achieve that? Or to set the Adobe Neutral color profile as default, without having to change it from Adobe Color all the time? But still, with Adobe Neutral, there is more color and contrast added than it shows in the Library module.

Thanks for helping! Still a lot to learn 🙂

Preview in library ModulePreview in library ModuleAdobe ColorAdobe ColorAdobe NeutralAdobe Neutral

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never seen that 'Fetching' message either. It probably cmes up because it does indeed take much more time than usual.

There is a 'Featured' thread here about setting camera defaults: Lightroom Classic: Set defaults for raw file import

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the late response, but thanks! I'll have a look in the thread 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is exactly what I've been looking for, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edited

20833 2083 images being  imported?  Yikes.. Going to take hours. A couple hundred could take an hour

To improve import speed, but st the expense of initial develop speed, alter your import options

Do not create previews

Do not apply presets

Copy from memory card to computer hard drive before importing, and select Add at import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2083, not 20833. That should not take hours.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would say at around 3 sec per image, maybe about 1.75 hours. However I have noticed the battery indicater your laptop is pretty low on power and would have halted the process to save power so it does not shut down. Are you doing copy, copy to dng or move. The computer resources will have the biggest impact on the process.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh, I overlooked that, from DdeGaness

However I have noticed the battery indicater your laptop is pretty low on power and would have halted the process to save power so it does not shut down

Yes, your Laptop will be throttling down on resources, You need to plug it in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines