• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File Cannot Be Found

New Here ,
Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once I export my photos to a file on my Mac desktop, I can no longer access them in LR. What should I do to my photos before or as I export them so I can go back in later and edit or access them?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your Export dialog/screen, top section, option to "Add to this catalog" checked or not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I do not typically check the "Add to this catalog" box, I just check the
box above it with my selected file on desktop. Does the "add to this
catalog" keep the photo in Lightroom?
Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, puts it in the catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks-hoping this does the trick!

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And, as you have not yet accomplished any edits to the exported file, in the Folders Panel, you could select the folder you exported to, and accomplish a sync (folder) to add the file to the catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reconsider your workflow. The strength of Lightroom is that you do not need to edit the exported image and do not need to add it to the catalog again. Each time you need an exported image, you can export it right there and then, in the file size and file type you need for that particular export. When you've used the exported image (sent it to the printer, placed it on the internet, whatever) you trash the local copy, because you can export again if and when needed. That means you will only have one copy in your catalog, not many copies in many sizes and file types.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying that you cannot access the original image after you export a copy? As Johan indicated, exported copies are for specific purposes such as e-mail or printing, etc. After they have been used for the purpose they can be discarded. They are no longer really needed for anything in my opinion. If you still can see your master image then that is really all you need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines