• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File Naming format

New Here ,
Nov 26, 2020 Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a canon 5Dii and I have just recorded 9999 photos using the camera.  The camera created a new file beginning with 101 and started the file count back to 0001.  My question is will Lightroom recognize the new files or will it begin replacing the old 0001 file that are in my catalog, ???? 

The files are recorded as _MG_0001. So if in the future I shoot a file named _MG_0856 will it replace a similar file that already exists in my catalog.  Or will I have to deal with the file already exist warning.  

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... The camera created a new file beginning with 101 and started the file count back to 0001.  My question is will Lightroom recognize the new files or will it begin replacing the old 0001 file that are in my catalog, ???? ....

There's no problem. Lightroom recognize as new files and don't replace old files.

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Message deleted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The designers and programmers of Lightroom were smart enough to realize that after a camera takes 10,000 photos, the file names will repeat. So Lightroom does not consider these duplicates. In my catalog, I have four different photos named DSC_8364.NEF, for example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Assuming the same-name files are stored in different folders on the hard drive, you are good to go, as the others are pointing out.

If you want to remove the problem all together, you can have LR rename the files as it copies them from the memory card. My default naming for 1-camera shoots is YYYYMMDD_nnnn using the capture date from the EXIF data and the original file number from the camera. Multi-camera shoots get YYYYMMDD_HHMMSS_nnnn (clocks synced within 1 sec). I always reset the file number back to 1 at the start of a new shoot. (I was using this naming convention before I started using LR.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines