Highlighted

Files missing after moving catalogue from Mac OSX to Windows 10

Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

i got the issue that after moving my catalouge from Mac to Windows LR lost half of my pictures. Both are located in the same parent-folder but in two different child-folders.

Now if I relocate the missing folder, it shows me that the folder is reconnected. But the pictures inside are still not found. So I tried to relocate them by just clicking it and reconnect it by hand - thought it would connect all pictures that are located nearby the selected one. But no, nothing like this happened. Lightroom tells me that the file I chose for reconnecting with the missing picture has another name than the original one. But its exactly the same! I even tried to copy and paste the name but it goes on telling me the files got different names.

Do you got any recommendations about how to solve this? I would just reconnect every single pixture, but I got 900 of them and it would be great if there was an other way.

Thank you in advance!

I wonder if Lightroom or Windows is having problems with the umlaut. A long time ago, I remember reading that Lightroom didn't work well with non-English versions of letters.

As a experiment, can you change the file name of one file, in BOTH Lightroom and Windows, to not have the umlaut, and see if the re-connecting of Lightroom to the file in Windows the works properly?

TOPICS
Import and export, Mac, Problem or error, Sync, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Files missing after moving catalogue from Mac OSX to Windows 10

Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

i got the issue that after moving my catalouge from Mac to Windows LR lost half of my pictures. Both are located in the same parent-folder but in two different child-folders.

Now if I relocate the missing folder, it shows me that the folder is reconnected. But the pictures inside are still not found. So I tried to relocate them by just clicking it and reconnect it by hand - thought it would connect all pictures that are located nearby the selected one. But no, nothing like this happened. Lightroom tells me that the file I chose for reconnecting with the missing picture has another name than the original one. But its exactly the same! I even tried to copy and paste the name but it goes on telling me the files got different names.

Do you got any recommendations about how to solve this? I would just reconnect every single pixture, but I got 900 of them and it would be great if there was an other way.

Thank you in advance!

I wonder if Lightroom or Windows is having problems with the umlaut. A long time ago, I remember reading that Lightroom didn't work well with non-English versions of letters.

As a experiment, can you change the file name of one file, in BOTH Lightroom and Windows, to not have the umlaut, and see if the re-connecting of Lightroom to the file in Windows the works properly?

TOPICS
Import and export, Mac, Problem or error, Sync, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 04, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Show us a screen capture of Lightroom so we can see the file name and extension of one of these problem photos.

Show us a screen capture of the same file so we can see the file name and extension, as seen in Windows Explorer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 04, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR-problem01.PNGselecting the file through LRselecting the file through LRLR-problem03.PNGFile in Windows ExplorerFile in Windows Explorer

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 04, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I work with the german version... 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 04, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 04, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help, Windows doesn't have any problems with this anymore, but LR seems to struggle with that.

I just realized that every single picture that is missing has an umlaut in the filename... So I will communicate to my coworkers that they shouldn't use them anymore. 

Little Side-Fact:

LR on a Mac-System works great with the umlauts xD

Thaaaaaanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 04, 2020 0