• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

First steps to install LR Classic CC - do I delete/uninstall LR6 first?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've subscribed to LR CC and am about to install LR Classic onto my Mac. Do I delete my old LR6 perpetually licensed software first?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Hmm, a bit of a misunderstanding?

As to the actual program. No need to uninstall before installing the subscription model. The old program will get uninstalled during the new install process unless you go thru some non standard steps to tell the install process to keep the old copy.

As to the existing catalog. It will get updated upon first use. The old catalog will stay in place. As stated by cmgap, when you are happy with the new catalog, you can choose to delete the old catalog.

Make sure you

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No -  do not delete it first. When you open Lightroom Classic for the first time it will update your old catalog. After  you are certain that all is well then you can delete  it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, a bit of a misunderstanding?

As to the actual program. No need to uninstall before installing the subscription model. The old program will get uninstalled during the new install process unless you go thru some non standard steps to tell the install process to keep the old copy.

As to the existing catalog. It will get updated upon first use. The old catalog will stay in place. As stated by cmgap, when you are happy with the new catalog, you can choose to delete the old catalog.

Make sure you create a new backup of the new catalog before deleating anything. Actually always make a backup period.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The old program will only be uninstalled if you select that option... it  is not a default as far as I know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2020 Jan 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, thanks for your comments. I had issues with my version of MacOS (10.15.2). Not only was the download link for LR Classic incompatible with this (so I had to get Adobe helpdesk to email me an updated link), the next issue was the Lightroom 6 perpetual uninstaller file was also unable to run on my version of MacOS, so I had to speak to another technical helpdesk person at Adobe who told me just to "send to trash" so I hope that worked? So I think I got there in the end, but not as straightforward as it should ideally be. Now I'm up and running on Lightroom Classic and my catalog is all there and it seems to be working just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a side note to a new subscription model user??

One little application, the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App (ACCDA) is critical for running the CC programs. You use it to install, update, authenticate, and activate. It is the first thing you install. You sign in thru it, not thru the programs like a Lightroom Classic. You install  the programs thru it. Update thru it.  And do not sign out, even if you are going on s trip with no internet access, signing out of ACCDA deactivates the programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I had problems installing anything as I'm running Catalina 10.15.2 which is incompatible with the download file available from my Adobe account!! So I had to call Adobe helpdesk and they emailed me an updated link to download both LR Classic and Photoshop. The next issue was the Lightroom 6 perpetual uninstaller file was also unable to run on my version of MacOS, so I had to speak to another technical helpdesk person at Adobe who told me just to "send to trash" so I hope that worked? So I think I got there in the end, but not as straightforward as it should ideally be. Now I'm up and running on Lightroom Classic and my catalog is all there and it seems to be working just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S. I hope the Adobe marketing Fubar, did not lead you into the wrong subscription. Did you sign up fir a Photography Plan? Good

If you signed up for the Lightroom Plan, bad.

The new equivalent to your v6 is a Lightroom Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thanks for your comments. I did a lot of reading around online before subscribing to the Photography Plan as I want all my pics on my hard drive not in the cloud plus I have a lot of pics. I'm not likely to want to edit on my iphone whilst out and about. I do my editing from the comfort of my desktop at home. But I agree with you that the Adobe website and marketing information is really unclear! Thank goodness for forums and expert users online!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines