Focus Point Plug-in

New Here ,
Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to see the Focus Point in my photos in LR and my understanding is that the only option is to install a plug in (this one? https://github.com/musselwhizzle/Focus-Points).

I'm weary of thrid-party additions and I am not sure it will work for me. Can someone advice?

Camera: Olympus OM-D EM1-MkII

Computer MacBook Pro (alsmost new) with latest Catalina OS upgrade.

Thanks

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

1 Correct Answer

Adobe Community Professional , Oct 20, 2020
D Fosse Adobe Community Professional , Oct 20, 2020
The only thing that can possibly be in metadata is the camera's record of where it put the focus points. And keep in mind that any camera's autofocus will miss quite frequently.   As for someone saying "this is in focus and that is not", that's just good eyes and experience.   You can of course use filters in Photoshop (like e.g. high pass or find edges) to exaggerate high frequency detail and visually determine what looks sharpest. But zooming in to 1:1 is just as reliable. With modern high res...

Translate

Translate
Jump to answer Jump to answer
LEGEND ,
Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only via plugin, and the plugins are limited in what cameras are supported.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are not trusting of that one, you can try this one:

http://lightroomfocuspointsplugin.com/

This is the one I have installed on my win10 box.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jose5D2D AUTHOR
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I am not sure these plug-ins provide what I was looking for. If I understand, they reveal which of the "focus areas" defined in the camera has been "hit" in the photo. But take the example of a bird in a tree. You may have severa objects within an area at different distances; the bird may appear less sharp that you would expect, and it may be hard to figure out if it is due to movement, camera vibration or simply because instead of the bird you ended up focussing on the foliage. Sometimes it is obvious what happened but others is not. Also, this seems to be an information stored as metadata, but I thought that there are programs that can detect that are in the photoc that looks the sharpest. I say this because in FB sharing pages sometimes and expert tells you "the problem with that photo is that the focus is on X instead of Y". I was wondering if they were using some focus-detection software, but I guess it is just  good eyes and experience.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jose5D2D AUTHOR
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry: "that can detect the area in the photoc that looks the sharpest"

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing that can possibly be in metadata is the camera's record of where it put the focus points. And keep in mind that any camera's autofocus will miss quite frequently.

As for someone saying "this is in focus and that is not", that's just good eyes and experience.

You can of course use filters in Photoshop (like e.g. high pass or find edges) to exaggerate high frequency detail and visually determine what looks sharpest. But zooming in to 1:1 is just as reliable. With modern high resolution sensors (36 - 60 MP), the plane of critical focus can be paper thin, even with wide angle lenses. The term "depth of field" doesn't really apply anymore: it's either in focus, or not. So very often you simply have to decide when it's enough in focus.

Mirrorless systems have an advantage here: autofocus is measured directly off the sensor, not indirectly by a separate phase detection sensor. So no fine-tuning for each lens is necessary, and it's usually more accurate with a higher hit rate.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jose5D2D AUTHOR LATEST
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your instructive response.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines