• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Folder disappeared

New Here ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using LR over 10 years. I am using LR Classic 9.2.  I keep all of photos on external hard drives.

2 days ago I discovered that all of the photos from the entire year of 2016 were wiped off of my HD though they still were in my LR catalog.

I was able to recover all of the photos from a back up drive but I had to re-import month by month back in to LR.

I don't think this is a LR problem and nothing like this has ever happened before.

Does anybody have any thoughts about what may have caused this problem?

Many thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, you should not have imported these photos again. They were still in Lightroom, so you should have 'reconnected' them: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-photos-missing-fix/

I also do not think this is a Lightroom issue. I have never heard any issue where Lightroom would delete images from disk, but keep the reference to them in the catalog. I have no idea what could have happened (apart from user error, of course), but I think that your experience illustrates how important backups are.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

QUOTE:

Does anybody have any thoughts about what may have caused this problem?

END QUOTE:

Yes that drive is starting to fail.

Yes someone that has access to your computer either accidentally or on purpose Deleted them and then Emptied the trash/recycle bin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And that is the weird thing, they were not in the trash.  So it sounds like a HD issue.  FYI, a one year old G Tech raid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 12, 2020 Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Anything can fail at any time.

The key data retention is redundancy.

Yes some RAID systems are supposed to do that automatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines