Highlighted

Folders in Lightroom not displaying correctly. Previous incorrect file management.

New Here ,
Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I've only been using LR for about a year but think I've been using it incorrectly with regards to file management. I usually drag/drop from finder then remove from lightroom once I've finished a set of photos.

Recently been watching a SkillShare class on LR workflow and they said all image management should be done within the programme itself.

I've looked at the Folders dialogue box but it appears as the below image and can't get it to view my photo drive correctly. It should be Year>Month>Album, etc.

Any advice would be great!!

Thanks 🙂

Screenshot 2020-05-29 at 09.13.31.png

(Edited by Moderator)

Topics

How to, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Folders in Lightroom not displaying correctly. Previous incorrect file management.

New Here ,
Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I've only been using LR for about a year but think I've been using it incorrectly with regards to file management. I usually drag/drop from finder then remove from lightroom once I've finished a set of photos.

Recently been watching a SkillShare class on LR workflow and they said all image management should be done within the programme itself.

I've looked at the Folders dialogue box but it appears as the below image and can't get it to view my photo drive correctly. It should be Year>Month>Album, etc.

Any advice would be great!!

Thanks 🙂

Screenshot 2020-05-29 at 09.13.31.png

(Edited by Moderator)

Topics

How to, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
LEGEND ,
Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic only shows the folders that have at least one photo imported into Lightroom. The rest of the folders on the drive will not show in the Folder Panel.

"... then remove from lightroom once I've finished a set of photos."

I have to say I don't recommend this. You'd be much better off NOT removing the photos from Lightroom, as not removing the photos maintains the edits and user-provided metadata, while removing the photos causes Lightroom to lose the edits and user-provided metadata. This may also be why you don't see the folders in Lightroom Classic's Folder Panel.

I'd also recommend using Lightroom Classic tools such as keywords and other metadata to achieve organization and to do your search, and not rely on folders for organization and searching (except to have folders based on capture date by using the default input method that creates folders by capture date).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of your photos appear to be missing probably because of this, "I usually drag/drop from finder then remove from lightroom once I've finished a set of photos." How do you "remove" the image files from Lightroom? Please provide ALL of the details on this removal process, which will help to get them back into the LR catalog. Just to clear up any confusion your files are NOT stored inside LR. They are stored on your hard drive at the location you imported them to on your system, which was Drag & Drop (not recommended). I suggest reading the 'Import Photos' and 'Workflows' topics in the user guide at the below link to get up to speed with best practices on using LR Classic.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/user-guide.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
gary_sc LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andrew, One other thought: If the Lightroom-Classic workflow does not really suit your needs, you might consider using a Bridge/ACR/Photoshop workflow. Since there is no database within Bridge, it doesn't care if you access and/or toss images from within Bridge or the Finder/Explorer. If you shoot raw, your images will automatically be opened by ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) and if you shoot JPG, you can still open them up in ACR via a right-click or menu selection. The features within ACR mirror those of Lightroom. It is said that Lightroom is ACR with a database. But since you're not taking advantage of the database, Lightroom may not be the best choice for you. I use both because my needs require both applications and approaches.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines