Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Folders nema in LRC not the same in HDD

Participant ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!
In the Lightroom Folders menu, if I'm not mistaken, the folders should appear similar to how they are set up on the computer (Hard Disk), right?
If so, it doesn't happen to me .. the names of the folders in the Lightroom menu appear to me differently from how they are on the Computer, and it is therefore difficult to find the photos contained in it when I work with the program.
The photos were all imported directly from Lightroom on first launch. The other photos subsequently imported from the camera, were imported with Lightroom indicating Destination folder .. but I see inconsistent dates and names.
Where am I wrong?
Thanks bye

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

“In the Lightroom Folders menu, if I'm not mistaken, the folders should appear similar to how they are set up on the computer (Hard Disk), right?”

No, Lightroom Classic is not a file browser like Windows Explorer or Mac Finder. It only knows what is in its database (which we usually call the "catalog").

If they don't match, then you should see a ? icon on the folders and an ! icon on the photos. The instructions how to fix this are here: http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom lists a folder somewhere within the Folders panel, to correspond to every imported image. This is not a live representation of the file system though, it is a summary listing of all the file-location info that is stored within the Catalog. So if a folder is externally renamed in a way that LR Classic does not know about, its remembered file-location within the Catalog has now been invalidated so LrC will no longer be able to connect up that image's "paperwork" within the Catalog, with an actual source file saved on disk. So it's best not to otherwise touch those files that LR has imported / is in effect managing. Whenever some change is made to such files or folders from within LrC, both the situation within the Catalog and the situation within the file system, are automatically updated together.

As to the display of folders within LrC: if a folder is shown which has a direct parent / child relationship with another folder that is also shown, LrC automatically represents that part of the overall folder hierarchy. But if two "brother" folders are shown, or two "cousin" folders are shown, or "grandchild / grandparent" folders are shown, or whatever - and the linking held-in-common folder(s) not shown - then that real folder relationship will not be evident: these folders must just be listed "loose".

This can be addressed with "show parent folder" or else "add folder" in order to make those linking folders evident. Taking the "brother" folders as an example, after going to one of those and clicking "show parent folder", that now appears and all the relevant "brother" folders are now displayed nested inside that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 24, 2020 Dec 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems you may be looking in a different place for the files on disk, than the place where LrC has got them copied - assuming that the files started out stored in your computer, and that your initial import was a "Copy" operation.

I believe the LrC initial default for import, is to copy into Pictures using a date based filing scheme. But whatever has happened, you can research the actual location on disk, of any image within LrC, by right-clicking on that and choosing "Show in Finder / Explorer" (depending on your OS). So if this is somewhere else than you have been looking, you now have got two copies of the file concerned. If you deleted the one that is imported to LrC, that would cause a warning message inside the Catalog which would then require re-browsing that image (inside Lightroom) to the other file which is still present. So instead, you may want to delete the one that is not imported to LrC - but only after taking a backup of everything, to be on the safe side. The reason to be cautious is that in the case where an Add import rather than a Copy import has happened, there are not two copies.

By ensuring that the various folder relationships are properly shown in the LrC Folders panel, by making visible sufficient "parent" folders to represent the whole relevant section(s)  of your file system, you should get a better handle on what the present arrangement is, and form a plan for any reorganisation. I suggest you build any such reorganisation around what you would like to happen - with some auto-filing help on LrC's part, perhaps - for each batch of new photos that you will in future bring to the computer on a camera card.

But never shuffle stuff around "behind LR's back" - the Catalog will need to have knowledge of every change made on disk, in order to retain its connection to all of the source files that it works from. When it's a small change involving just a few files, or renaming a folder in-place, say, that can be done from inside LR. A given wholesale change involving large numbers of files all moving together, say - can be done outside LR provided you then go in and re-browse the needed "disconnected" folder(s) that the LrC Catalog now shows as missing/offline, to once again connect onto the right stuff in its new location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without seeing screen shots, YOU including screen shots, of what you are seeing on your screen it will nbe almost impossible to help you sort this out.

I susupect that when you originally opened LrC for the first time and di an import of images that were, ARE, already on your hard drive you have mistakenly selected COPY at the top of the import dialog window and let LrC place the Copies of your images in the Default folder that LrC uses. In your Usename folder under Pictures.

With the File manager for the OS you are using you are looking at the Original Folders your images were in and this Does Not match what you are seeing in the LrC Folder section.

Show Us Screen shots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, thanks for responding.
I don't remember exactly what I did the first time but, from what I can understand from your explanation, I think you are right .. that's exactly how it is ... in the file-manager of my operating system (Windows) I see the original folders which are different from those present in LRC, as you say, probably created himself during the import phase.
If so, is there a possibility to remedy and make them identical in the two programs, LRC and File-Manager?
Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If all your images that were originally on your hard drive have been moved to different folders on your drive, Copies of the Originals, then you can Delete the original folders and images.

BUT MAKE SURE ALL of them have been COPIED to the new storage location before you Delete anything.

Please Review these tutorials on what LrC is, How It Work, and how to work with LrC.

How Lightroom catalogs work

Lightroom catalog FAQ

Lightroom Classic tutorials | Learn how to use Lightroom Classic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, but all the links show instructions in English .. is there something similar in Italian?

Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'd have to do your own search for Italian instructions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gave a link that should allow you to fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YOU REALLY NEED TO POST SCREEN SHOTS OF WHAT YOU ARE SEEING ON YOUR COMPUTER.

We are all Guessing without seeing what you are seeing in both LrC and the File Manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 26, 2020 Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know how i could post screenshot because it's difficult to explain and capture the right imagine.. i'll try it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 26, 2020 Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simple, Really, Really. There IS NOTHING Hard about it.

LrC Folder section.

2020-12-26 07_59_46-LrC V10 Catalog - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Library.png

Windows File Explorer.

2020-12-26 08_01_03-E__Pictures 2018.png

Nothing hard about it.

If you are using a Mac then you would use Finder. The Mac File Manager. But the screen shots are the same. One showing the LrC FOLDERS section with where LrC Knows where your images are and one of the File manager wherer YOU Think the files are.

My screen shots ahow the same drive and folder because I import my images properly.

You haven't imported properly and that is why you are confused.

Semplice, davvero, davvero. Non c'è NIENTE di difficile in questo.

Sezione cartella LrC.

Esplora file di Windows. Images remove in thranslation

Niente di difficile al riguardo.

Se stai usando un Mac, dovresti usare Finder. Il file manager per Mac. Ma le schermate sono le stesse.

Uno che mostra la sezione CARTELLE LrC con dove LrC sa dove sono le tue immagini e uno del File manager dove pensi siano i file. Le mie schermate mostrano la stessa unità e cartella perché importa correttamente le mie immagini.

Non hai importato correttamente ed è per questo che sei confuso.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 27, 2020 Dec 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I have solve the problem.

Thanks for oyur Help!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 27, 2020 Dec 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what did you do to resolve your problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have solved it via an unset setting to show folder path. To copy the folders and files to another HDD I created a new folder on the new HDD (which did not see me, but once the folder was created inside it, LRC saw it), and dragging the folders or photos over it ... LRC updated instantly while maintaining contact with the catalog.

Thanks for Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@maury71 

You have 2 different conversations going on. This one about Folder Names not being the same in LrC and as Viewed in your File Manager.

So I suggest you concentrate on One Issue at a time.

In my option the problem being discused in this conversation is the one you should fix, resolve, first.

Then and Only then move on to your other problem, Moving folders and files from internal to external drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at this link on the Adobe website Helpx system.

https://helpx.adobe.com/it/lightroom-classic/help/locate-missing-photos.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines