Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Folders Panel : folders closed all at once

Explorer ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hy,

i'm looking for a way to close all my folders and sub-folders hierarchy, all at once. Do you know this shortcut ? thanks a lot !

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Alt/Opt-click on the top level folder. That will collapse all the hierarchy, doing it on an already collapsed hierarchy will expand it all.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alt/Opt-click on the top level folder. That will collapse all the hierarchy, doing it on an already collapsed hierarchy will expand it all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. It works for one folder and all it's subfolder. But apparently, there is a shortcut for closing ALL the folders and ALL the Subfolders ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bigmiches  wrote

Thanks. It works for one folder and all it's subfolder. But apparently, there is a shortcut for closing ALL the folders and ALL the Subfolders ?

Do you mean a Keyboard shortcut? I'm looking through them and don't see one for what you're asking about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

shortcut or a way to do it, yes...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CMD click (Mac) or CTL click (Win) on the title of any panel will expand or collapse all panels on the side you are on. Solo Mode > right click on the title of a panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, but apparently it's not the answer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bigmiches  wrote

yes, but apparently it's not the answer

Then the answer is the one Jim Wilde gave you. Alt/Opt and Click the triangle next to the top level folder. That is a Shortcut from having to click every triangle of expanded subfolders under the top level folder. Also works for drives. That is if you have Show Parent Folder turned on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the answer... Try it out...

CMD click (Mac) or CTL click (Win) on the title of any panel will expand or collapse all panels on the side you are on. Solo Mode > right click on the title of a panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cmgap  wrote

This is the answer... Try it out...

Actually it is Alt or Option not Ctrl or Command.

You're talking about the different Sections of the left hand panel (or any panel, right or left, and any module).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the contest's question is :

" Dans le panneau Dossiers, comment fermer tous les dossiers et sous-dossiers d'un coup ?"

in english I think :" In the Folders pane, how to close all folders and subfolders at once"

the answer is apparently not Cmd Click on the panel's title, and not Alt Click on the Parent folder...

thanks for your help anyway

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do you say it is not Alt/CMD and Click on the parent folder triangle, and or Drive letter or Name triangle?

It works here just fine.

I'm using Window but should be the same on a Mac.

I expand many folders and then subfolders under those folders.

If I Alt + Click on the triangle of one of the top level folders the stack of subfolders collapses and if I then open that top level folder again all the subfolders are still collapsed.

If I expand all of them and then Alt + Click on the Drive Letter (As I have Show Parent folder turned on) every folder and subfolder that was expanded collapses into showing just the drive letter. Once I click on the drive letter triangle just the Top Level folder show in the list.

If that is not what you think the question is asking then I have no idea. There is no Keyboard only shortcut for what you are asking about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree for the first part. Alt + Click on the top level folders it collapse the subfolders.

But on the drive letter it doesn't work. the subfolders are still expanded.

I upload a video to show you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your video I don't think you have Show Parent folder selected. I could be wrong but if you did I think you might see Macintosh HD showing a second time under the TITLE Macintosh HD. Or you might see your Username and then Macintosh HD above that. Or your username then Users then Macintosh HD. As your Username and then Desktop are all Subfolders under the Folder Users and that is a folder on the Macintosh HD volume name.

Just like in my screen shot the TITLE is "(E) E Local Drive" and then just below is E: with a triangle to the left of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, i understand. I tried to click on parent folder without record it on video 

-also sorry for my english-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bigmiches  wrote

yes, i understand. I tried to click on parent folder without record it on video 

-also sorry for my english-

No problem with your English. Hope you get it right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bigmiches  wrote

I agree for the first part. Alt + Click on the top level folders it collapse the subfolders.

But on the drive letter it doesn't work. the subfolders are still expanded.

I upload a video to show you

Not the Drive letter at the top but like this.

Drive letter.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, on the parent folder, i agree. So we have to do it for each drive, right ? i think we can't do it for all drives at once

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct - there isn't a keyboard shortcut to collapse all folders on all drives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If i have an answer at the end of the contest, i will post it here Thanks everybody for your help and your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm looking for it for several hours it's an answer to a contest's question ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can click on the triangle to the left of "Folders" at the top of the panel, or on the triangle to the right of a drive:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, thank you but when you clik on the triangle again, all the folders and sub folders are still opened

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps you can provide a screenshot of the before and after you want the Folders panel to look like.  At this point, it's not clear what you're asking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines