Highlighted

Formatting Scandisk extreme 1TB with Apple disk utility before moving Lightroom photos?

New Here ,
Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all! I'm wondering if I should format my new Scandisk extreme 1tb SSD drive before moving my lightroom classic photos/catalogs? In Disk utility there are several options and format types for formatting. Since I'm only using it for photos I have no need for all the file security stuff built into the hard drive. I am currently running the latest Apple OS. thanks in advance!

TOPICS
How to, Import and export, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Formatting Scandisk extreme 1TB with Apple disk utility before moving Lightroom photos?

New Here ,
Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all! I'm wondering if I should format my new Scandisk extreme 1tb SSD drive before moving my lightroom classic photos/catalogs? In Disk utility there are several options and format types for formatting. Since I'm only using it for photos I have no need for all the file security stuff built into the hard drive. I am currently running the latest Apple OS. thanks in advance!

TOPICS
How to, Import and export, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 14, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which file format are you considering?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 14, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I'm not sure about. There are several options. I'm not the most tech savvy person so I don't know if one is better than the other for using it as my primary hardrive that I work off of.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 14, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In general the older Mac OS Extended (Journaled) is best if you’re not sure, because it’s OK for both hard drives and SSDs, and if you need older Macs to be able to use it.

The newer APFS is supposed to be more efficient on SSDs (APFS is not recommended for hard drives), and is a safe choice if you expect to plug it into Macs running only the most recent versions of macOS. Macs running older versions of macOS won’t recognize APFS. New Macs, and new installations of macOS, default to formatting the startup volume as APFS.

I think ExFAT is supposed to be a good choice if you need the drive to be read and written to by both Macs and PCs.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 14, 2020 1
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much! Right now I am using a 2019 MacBook air, but it is ridiculously slow when rendering photos in some of the Topaz programs I use for sharpening/De-noising. My plan is to eventually buy an older Mac pro desktop and upgrade the graphics card, Ram, and harddrive space. I plan on getting one that will be able to use the newest Mac Os, and I will never use the drive on a Windows based PC.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 15, 2020 0