Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Freeze Rain on a Gray Day -- Perfect for a Touch of Dehaze

Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hands on Niihama Drum Festival

Imabari, JapanNikon D810, Tamron SP 70-200 f2.8 lens.(f/4.0, 190mm, ISO500, 1/1250sec)

DSC_7111-2.jpg

D
rifting around Japan, I caught wind of a rural drum festival. With few details, it was a bit risky, since I often follow leads, traveling days to find nothing there. This time, however, I totally scored. Weather was bleak, as it often is in Japan: rainy and dark. Standing around for a few hours, it felt like not much was going to happen. Some locals wandered the streets, mellow. Suddenly, men in traditional outfits marched toward, supporting enormous floats atop their shoulders -- with other men inside and atop the floats! And from other directions, the same! From nowhere, I was awash in a sea of humans (pre-pandemic, of course), banging over-sized drums, chanting, and singing. It was beautiful, and I still think I was the only foreigner around. I certainly only heard Japanese spoken all day.

Original image (SOOC):

DSC_7111.jpg

Here is how I edited this photo:
Lighten a bit

·         Lifted Exposure (+1.10), Shadows (+74), Whites (+37). The day was very dark, as you can see. Looking back, I'm satisfied with my chosen camera settings. A lot of movement, so I wouldn't have slowed it down. Perhaps could have added some ISO.

Drop Blacks

·          Not much needed; just a pinch (-27). I like my whites white as possible, and blacks black as possible, then I back them off a little so as to preserve some depth.

Raise Saturation, Dehaze

·          Brought Saturation up (+10) since the day was dreary (see raindrops?). Need not go too far or the photo would look fake.

·          Same for Dehaze, (+10). This is the sort of day Dehaze was made for.

Raise Sharpening, Clarity

·          Sharpening up (+84). If the shot were just of faces, or if I didn't want a gritty look (I usually do), I would have left this alone.

·          Clarity up (+26). Exactly same reasoning here as above.

Japan is one of my favorite places. People are overwhelmingly friendly their culture is rich. Go there (post-pandemic). Trust.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nice depth!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines