• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

From a collection, how can I make duplicates of all the originals and rename them into a new folder?

Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From a collection, how can I make duplicates of all the originals in that collection and rename them into a new folder? So I am not looking to make Virtual copies, but actual copies of the originals, so I can place them on a seperate hard drive and work on them, print from them etc.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Not sure why you want to do this but the way to do this is to use the export panel. You export all the images in the collection to a folder on your external hard drive. Make sure to select "original" as file format. This will export the original files and add xmp sidecar files that have all the develop and metadata instructions in them. Upon export,  you can even select "Add to This Catalog" if you want these duplicate files to be imported into Classic again.

Another option is to select your c

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photos do not reside in your catalog, and they do not reside in any collection in your catalog.

Photos are located in folders in your computer, on any hard drive(s) you like.

That being said, wondering why you want duplicates of your photos with alternate  names.

Perhaps more explanation is needed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason I want to do this, is becasue I now have 5 external hard drives with all my images and a new one per year ia added. I only need a handful of images to go with me when I travel for ordering prints and working on projects. I do not want to take them out of the year-month-date folders of their respective hard drives, because I would have to put them back one by one. So the only option I see is to make actual original duplicates. I also want to be able to work on them inside of my LR catalogue, so I do not want a seperate catalogue just for these collection images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure why you want to do this but the way to do this is to use the export panel. You export all the images in the collection to a folder on your external hard drive. Make sure to select "original" as file format. This will export the original files and add xmp sidecar files that have all the develop and metadata instructions in them. Upon export,  you can even select "Add to This Catalog" if you want these duplicate files to be imported into Classic again.

Another option is to select your collection, and to export to a catalog. This is done from the file menu. You'll select a destination and can choose to include the original files. When you export this catalog to an external disk, you can then open this catalog from any computer that has Classic installed and edit your images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The reason I want to do this, is because I now have 5 external hard drives with all my images and a new one per year is added. I only need a handful of images to go with me when I travel for ordering prints and working on projects. I do not want to take them out of the year-month-date folders of their respective hard drives, because I would have to put them back one by one. So the only option I see is to make actual original duplicates. I also want to be able to work on them inside of my LR catalogue, so I do not want a seperate catalogue just for these collection images.

So I guess the exporting function and immediately adding them to Classic is the solution, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines