• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

From Lightroom To Lightroom Classic

Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope I can clearly explain what I'm trying to do.  Im a pretty new user to Lightroom and now want to also add classic to the mix.  In my Lightroom, I have albums set up and several thousand images in them.  I'm using this on my ipad as well as my new M1 Macbook Pro.  I also have Lightroom classic installed on the macbook but have not yet done anything with it as I'm totally confused how how to get the 2 versions Sync'd. When I opened classic and did Sync, it started to sync all the photos but none of the albums etc.  Brought everything over as "All Photos". And, also started to poke away at my hard drive storage space.  I deleted the Classic catalog and uninstalled classic and all is back to normal and HD space is back to what it was. 

Am I trying to go about this backwards?  Should I have done it all in classic first then use the non classic version?  I'm not sure which way I should go now.  I have a 512 GB hard drive so thats a limitation but have tons of external storage.  After watching several videos I'm finding classic to be a little more robost in several areas.  The good news is all my photos are in the Adobe cloud which I very much like as I'm not the greatest at file organization.....HAHA.  Looking for some advice on what steps I could take.  Thank you in advance

Joe

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Classic is the disk based version of the application and sends smart previews online while retaining the originals on the drive. All the other flavours of Lightroom use cloud storage. 

How I use Classic and Sync to the cloud is probably typical of an older disk based user. I've my files on an external drive and only sync a small portion online for sharing or for client proofing. I use Classic because it has a far more robust feature set. Plus I've 16TB of photos which would be an expensive monthly bill. 

Unless you need this feature set and using a drive, stick with Lightroom. If you need the additional features of Classic, consider using an external drive. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And if you do keep your images on an external drive (I concur with this approach), it's also important to have a backup drive of those images because ALL DRIVES CAN FAIL Just sayin' 

Fortunately drives are cheap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Replying to both above.  I have plenty of external storage.  And more on the way. As well as a NAS.  After some reading I see where I can choose where the files will go from the cloud and by default that was my MAcbook hard drive.  I will try it again but this time I will specify all previews and files go to my Lacie external 8 TB drive.  I do however like the Originals uploading to Adobe cloud but not sure how I could now incorporate that into using Classic and clod Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MAybe this is another question, But smart previews save on the Local drive correct?  Seems like they would have to to be able to edit without the external handy if traveling

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is correct. But be aware that you cannot use external editors with smart previews. In other words you cannot edit them in Photoshop or any other of the options with the "Edit in" options. But you can do just about anything using the Lightroom tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Jim, I'm trying to find the best option to use while on the road and away from my big external drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines