Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FUJI GFX 100S RAF lossless compressed unreadable

New Here ,
Feb 27, 2021 Feb 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

Recently shot with FUJI GFX 100S with the usual option of lossless compression in 14bit (worked before withe the GFX 100 and the .RAF files cannot be read/ previewed in bridge let alone opened in photoshop through Camera Raw (yes everything is up to date)

Any thoughts or successfull work arounds would be greatly appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 27, 2021 Feb 27, 2021

Refer D Fosse's reply to your identical question in the Photoshop forum

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/fuji-gfx-100s-raf-lossless-compressed-unreadable/td-p/11861683

The answer is the same for Lightroom Classic.

Raw file formats are unique to each camera model so Adobe has to update Camera Raw and the DNG converter for every new camera. The GFX 100 (shipped 2019) has been supported since Lightroom 8.4. Support for the GFX 100S (released this week) will probably be added in the next

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 29, 2022 Dec 29, 2022

apparently Adobe has a history of not supporting RAF.

Not sure where you are getting your information but the above statement is definitely not true.

Adobe supports RAW file formats from most major camera makers, including RAF.

See https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

Unfortunately, Adobe has to regularly endure frustration in these forums from early users of many new camera models when their camera is not immediately supported on the day that the c

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 27, 2021 Feb 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Refer D Fosse's reply to your identical question in the Photoshop forum

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/fuji-gfx-100s-raf-lossless-compressed-unreadable/td-p/11861...

The answer is the same for Lightroom Classic.

Raw file formats are unique to each camera model so Adobe has to update Camera Raw and the DNG converter for every new camera. The GFX 100 (shipped 2019) has been supported since Lightroom 8.4. Support for the GFX 100S (released this week) will probably be added in the next LR update.

In the meantime, you can use the Fujifilm Raw converter to convert to TIF or JPG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried the latest Fujifilm Raw Converter and it does not open GFX 100s files and a note at the base of the Compatibility Chart says:

As of Mar 2021, GFX100S and X-E4 are not compatible with RAW FILE CONVERTER EX powered by SILKYPIX. 

Might have to try the free C1 express until 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And Camera One Express does not support the 100s yet either - I tested this and then confirmed it on their forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The next LR release will add the GFX 100S. However, only Adobe knows when they will release, and they never tell in advance.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a brand new camera which obviously introduces some changes in the RAW format.

All you can do is wait for the updates that adds capability to read the new format and use jpg for the moment.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to some help from the https://www.fujix-forum.com/threads/gfx100s-raw-file-processing.111990/ 

I can confirm that editing the .raf file in Notepad++ carefully and changing 2nd and 3rd occurrence of "GFX100S" to "GFX 100" (ie add a space between the GFX and 100 and delete the S) allows the file to be imported into both Lightroom and C1, but not Fujifilm Raw File Converter (by Silkypix).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 29, 2022 Dec 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ended up purchsing a $40 file converter (Iridient Transformer) to go from RAF to DNG b/c apparently Adobe has a history of not supporting RAF.  The Notepad++ hack is clever but not scalable into the hundreds of files.

Overall, this leaves me feeling exteremely annoyed and frustrated by Adobe. A year later and this is still an issue. I guess all of us paying $50/mo doesn't create enough runway for Adobe to fix problems with their software. I mean, it's not like they have partner engineers who's whole job is work with established camera manufacturers like Fuji to ensure file formats are supported when new cameras area launched.

On a similar note, does anyone know if Capture One has these issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

apparently Adobe has a history of not supporting RAF.

Not sure where you are getting your information but the above statement is definitely not true.

Adobe supports RAW file formats from most major camera makers, including RAF.

See https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

Unfortunately, Adobe has to regularly endure frustration in these forums from early users of many new camera models when their camera is not immediately supported on the day that the camera is released. Raw support is added in the next round of Camera Raw and Lightroom updates. That can be a few days or weeks later.

Out of curiosity, which Fujifilm camera did you buy Iridient Transformer for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I say this is historically a problem b/c I've always had issues with getting (RAF) files from my Fuji cameras to preview and load properly across Lightroom and Bridge on multiple machines. Given that this is not an isolated issue but an endemic one, I must conclude that Adobe has a history of poor support.

I got Irident Transformer for my GFX 100S b/c Bridge/Adobe/Lightroom has serious issues previewing and editing RAF files.  If I'm not mistaken, the GFX 100S released last year, so it feels like enough time has passed for RAW support to be solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can you provide more details on your serious issues to assist Adobe with troubleshooting?

I can preview and load RAF files without any issues.

Any chance you could share a couple of your problem images here so forum regulars can test them on a variety of platforms?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines