• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Geotagging etc

Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am now exploring GeoTagging.  Which could be very useful. However I am concerned that its application might be restricted to Lightroom.   I will need to export my images to a standalone file system.I assume that the Geotagging and Facial recognition provided additions  metadata for each image.  However are there independent  commercial photo displays which could make use of this information for the viewers of the images?

Thanks

Sockit

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any Lightroom Classic metadata involving geotagging can be included in files that you export.

“However are there independent commercial photo displays which could make use of this information for the viewers of the images?”

Well, I don't know if this is "commercial", but the freeware program GeoSetter can read the GPS information in the Lightroom Classic exports and display them on a map. I'm sure there are other software that can do related things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi DI Paige      Thanks for that very useful information. It makes it
worthwhile adding that data to the images as they are really for
archival use.  Forgive me for asking are you Di or D.I.

Terence

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"However are there independent  commercial photo displays which could make use of this information for the viewers of the images?"

To build on dj_paige's reply, LR stores the results of geotagging and face recognition in industry-standard format inside the photos' metadata. 

For geotagging, many programs can display photos on a map based on their GPS coordinates (which LR adds), including Apple Photos, Google Photos, Flickr and others.  And many programs can display the Sublocation, City, State/Province, and Country that LR's address suggestions add (reverse geotagging).

When you tag a face, two pieces of information are added to the photo's metadata: the face rectangle and a keyword containing the person name. Only a few mostly obscure programs implement the part of the industry standard for rectangles, but many, many programs will display the keywords.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines