Getting Lightroom 10 to launch faster

Contributor ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe a goofy question, but…

Windows 10 Pro, 5820 O/C to 4.4 GHz, 32 GB memory, SSDs for everything but backups, AMD 5700XT graphics.  Lightroom 10.0, PS 22.1.  I’ll update LR once I’m sure the new version isn’t going to do anything stupid.

Lightroom runs fine.  If you read through one of the voluminous documents on the Internet about optimizing Lightoom, I’d done pretty much all of them, from tuning to killing the Windows Search service.  And Lightroom largely works fine when it’s up – Metadata display is a dog, but it always has been.  Most other stuff is reasonably good.

My question is STARTUP.  Rebooted the system, didn’t start anything else.  Launched Lightroom, exited, relaunched – repeatedly.  Repeated launches all came up with the same number – as accurately as I can be doing the timing from watching a clock, but all within a second.

If I exit Lightroom while in the Library, and restart it, it launches in 8 seconds.  From the time I hit the OK on which catalog to the time when the folders display and I can do stuff it’s 8 seconds.  I have a catalog with almost 100,000 images and it’s 8 seconds.  I have one I created with 23 images and it’s 8 seconds.

BUT, if I exit Lightroom while in Develop, it’s 22 seconds.  Doesn’t seem to matter if it’s a D500, 20 megapixel image, a D850 45 megapixel image.  Doesn’t even seem to matter if it’s a large Photoshop image, it’s 22 seconds.  Doesn’t appear to matter if it’s my primary catalog or the one with 23 images.  It’s 22 seconds.

I’ve tried turning off the graphics processor, but that doesn’t appear to make any difference, so I don’t think that’s a bottleneck.  I DON’T do smart previews.

8 seconds is OK, be nice if it was faster, but it would ALWAYS be nice if most computer stuff was faster.  But is there anything I can do to make it launch significantly faster when it’s in Develop?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I exit Lightroom while in the Library, and restart it, it launches in 8 seconds. From the time I hit the OK on which catalog to the time when the folders display and I can do stuff it’s 8 seconds. I have a catalog with almost 100,000 images and it’s 8 seconds. I have one I created with 23 images and it’s 8 seconds. BUT, if I exit Lightroom while in Develop, it’s 22 seconds.

I think this is normal. It takes longer to launch the Develop Module, it's more code to read than the Library Module.

The same thing happens if you launch into Library Module. The first time you go to Develop, there is a (approx) 15 second delay, the second time you go to Develop, it's much much faster.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So I'm NOT seeing an extraordinarily long delay launching or switching...  That means I don't have to do any messing with things!  Always happy NOT to have to do work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines