• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Going from Lightroom 6 to Classic Lightroom on new computer.

New Here ,
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have LR 6 on my macbook.  I want to have LR classic cc on a new laptop.  Do I change LR6 to LR classic cc on my old computer and then move to new computer or do I create LR classic cc on new computer and them move LR6 to new computer.

I am not real computer saavy so keep the answer as simple as possbile.  I appreciate you interest and info.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You install the Creative Cloud Desktop App on the new computer. From that App you install LR Classic (MAKE SURE IT IS LR CLASSIC you install) on the new computer. Then You Copy over all your images and the LR 6 Catalog file to the New computer and then Open your original LR 6 Catalog. you will get a warning about it being an older style catalog that must be upgraded. Do the Upgrade of the catalog.

From there you may have errors about your imaages as the copied LR 6 catalog and the new Upgraded catalog will be looking for your images in a specific location, Folder or Folders. So when you copy them over from your old computer place them in the same Top level folder and all subfolder that they were in on the old computer.

You should also review this web page for more instructions.

How do I move Lightroom to a new computer? | The Lightroom Queen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your new laptop is a Mac too you might as well let the migration assistant move everything over. This will also copy LR6 and its preferences ensuring your images are in the place Lightroom expects them.

Then as suggested install the new Lightroom Classic using the CC desktop app. The new LR will offer to upgrade the catalog and will find your images without problems. I have done this several times and never run into problems.

Once all is working you can delete LR6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Do I change LR6 to LR classic cc on my old computer and then move to new computer or do I create LR classic cc on new computer and them move LR6 to new computer.

The answer is simple. It doesn't matter. In fact, you don't have to do anything on the old computer, just install LR Classic on the new computer and then move everything over, as explained here: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines