• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GPS syncing problem between sidecar jpg and RAW (cr2+xmp)

Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2019 Aug 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a canon 700D

an Eyefi card

I take jpg+RAW when shooting.

I use an Eyefi card to wireless send my photos back to a folder on PC but it also syncs to my phone when remote, one benefit it also stamps the GPS coordinates into the JPG file.

Normally I return home i copy all the phones off the phone, places them all in the same folder with their RAW files copy and allow all the photos to sync then import into LR, I view jpg+cr2 as one file and usually the RAW files gets an XMP created with all of the meta including any GPS coordinates that were captures by the phone.

its worked very well up until my last import.

Now none of my photos show any GPS in LR but all of the sidecar JPGs have the coordinates. If i split the files and import only the Jpgs everything is fine, I just cant put them together and get GPs to show.

i don't understand why it has stopped working?, I wondered if anyone could help me get the RAW file to show GPS coordinates?

Thanks

ive just updated to 8.3.1

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 06, 2019 Aug 06, 2019
do you know of any way to be able to import the true GPS coordinates?

There's an inconvenient method: Import the raw + JPEG pairs into LR. Select all the imported photos and do Metadata > Save Metadata To File, creating .xmp sidecars for the raws. Then use the free ExifTool utility to batch-copy the GPS coordinates from the JPEGs to the corresponding sidecars. Finally, in LR do Metadata > Read Metadata From File.

ExifTool has a steep learning curve, and copying GPS coordinates between different fi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Aug 02, 2019 Aug 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mariutto,

Sorry that the GPS data of your images are not syncing or getting carried over to your computer. As you mentioned that there is a set process you always follow to make things work for a combination of JPEG+Raw workflow, like using the Eywfi card to send images wirelessly to your PC, syncing images to your phone and then getting them copied to your computer into the same folder.

What happens if you simply import the same set of images from your camera card using a physical connection medium into Lightroom? Does it still doesn't carry over the GPS data?

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2019 Aug 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but unfortunately does not help as the jpgs on the camera do not contain any GPS info as it gets added to the jpgs that are synced with eyefi to the phone.

bringing all the files back together into a folder afterwards have always previously worked and as the import uses the GPS data. I have never had to think about it before until now.

I have made a backup of the jpgs whilst i try a few things. any more suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anything to mention is that the CR2 raw files have no xmp sidecar at this stage only the jpg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested importing a raw + JPEG pair, and LR read the GPS coordinates from the JPEG as expected.

Anything to mention is that the CR2 raw files have no xmp sidecar at this stage only the jpg.

Double-check this: Select a newly imported raw and look in the Metadata > Default panel > Sidecar Files. Do you see "jpg", "xmp, jpg", or nothing? E.g.

At the time of import, if there is a .xmp sidecar, LR will read metadata (including GPS) from it, not from the JPEG.

If you're still stuck, please upload a sample raw + JPEG pair that hasn't yet been imported into LR to Dropbox or similar and post the sharing link here. We can see if it imports properly into other LR configurations and narrow down the cause of the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2019 Aug 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks johnrellis the sidecar is jpg as you suggested. Here are some exams files Cr2-jpg test files - Google Drive

I also tried creating a xmp file and adding the gps info into the file,and importing just the jps. All work fine, it just the cr2 and jpg sidecar that are the issue?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can reproduce the problem with those files on my LR 8.3.1.  I'll dig into it tomorrow to see what's going wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was sloppy in my testing yesterday (should have gone to bed). In general, when I import raw + JPEG pairs, I don't see any of the JPEG's metadata displayed as the raw's metadata, including the GPS fields. I've tried several different Canon and Sony models, in LR 8.3.1, LR 2015.14 (6.14), and LR 5.7.1.

Are you sure that when you imported raw + JPEG pairs in the past, LR read the GPS coordinates from the JPEG?  Can you find such a old pair in your catalog and upload them to Google Drive? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2019 Aug 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha no worries to be honest I'm struggling to prove this did work before as I cannot find many CR2 +jpg pairs as after i import them i usually delete the jpgs to save space once the xmps are created - i have a fair few cr2 with gps info.

I did find 2 pairs that has GPS location in the JPG and has an XMP with GPS but the values between jpg and cr2 are slightly different if you read the files directly but LR positions them exactly the same on the map view so im guessing that they were created using eyefi and phone. .

or maybe I'm having a senior moment and this has never worked for the CR2+jpg pairing

ive updated the files to the new requested files.

one thing i noticed is that in each jpg the GPS coordinates are recorded in slightly different ways, maybe this is significant?

Cr2-jpg test files - Google Drive​

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 05, 2019 Aug 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your most recent test files, I'm not sure how the GPS coordinates got transferred from the .jpg to the .xmp.  "hatfield.jpg" and "hatfield.xmp" were both modified by LR 6.5.1, while "wales.xmp" was modified by LR 8.3.1 and "wales.jpg" wasn't modified by any version of LR.

The coordinates in "hatfield.jpg" and "hatfield.xmp" are identical:

hatfield.jpg: 51 deg 51' 19.00" N, 0 deg 14' 1.69" E

hatfield.xmp: 51 deg 51' 19.00" N, 0 deg 14' 1.69" E

while the coordinates in "wales.jpg" and "wales.xmp" differ by more than a second:

wales.jpg: 53 deg 5' 55.00" N, 1 deg 33' 52.00" W

wales.xmp: 53 deg 5' 53.88" N, 1 deg 33' 48.46" W

That's more than 90' difference, big enough to show up on the map:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2019 Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John, i think i know what has happened. I always tend to switch capture modes between jpg only and cr2+jpg depending on setting etc, and I don't always use the phone to sync the GPS data. Which means that I am importing a large number of files knowing that some will not have any GPS info in either file, I manually tag GPS to these in the LR map.

i filter those without any GPS data. I have been making a massive assumption that the ones with jpgs gps data do sync with the xmp and would therefore not show up in my filter, but i guess they must, and ive been hiding it by manually overwriting, then deleting the jpg.

When i check the cr2+jpg pairs that i do still have the jpg coord and xmp are different (the jpg is the right location, the cr2 is the general area but same across all the photos in that batch) so i have must have assumed that these files needed to be manually updated. after this process i have deleted the sidecar jpg losing the actual reference forever!

I wish that Adobe LR would have any option to use the JPG sidecar GPS.

Anyway i guess we have an answer to the issue, however i have found some small batches left that do have both files... do you know of any way to be able to import the true GPS coordinates?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 06, 2019 Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do you know of any way to be able to import the true GPS coordinates?

There's an inconvenient method: Import the raw + JPEG pairs into LR. Select all the imported photos and do Metadata > Save Metadata To File, creating .xmp sidecars for the raws. Then use the free ExifTool utility to batch-copy the GPS coordinates from the JPEGs to the corresponding sidecars. Finally, in LR do Metadata > Read Metadata From File.

ExifTool has a steep learning curve, and copying GPS coordinates between different file formats is especially obscure (more due to legacy industry standards than ExifTool).  See this thread for hints on how to copy the coordinates: Copying GPS Data from JPG to DNG or XMP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2019 Aug 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanks for all your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines