• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GPU Acceleration an Annoyance with NVIDEA in Develop Module when using Crop Overlay LR Classic 9.1

Feb 02, 2020 Feb 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I enable the graphics processor the Crop Overlay tool becomes stuttering when I resize / move.

Without accelaration it behaves smooth.

My PC is pretty new (6 core Ryzen 5 3,6GHz / 16 GB RAM) and I'm using a Geforce GTX 1660 Super 6GB with Nvidea Studio driver 26.21.14.4166 in 2560x1440 10 bit.

This is so annoying that I switch GPU acceleration off although there are functions (zoom in/out) which are clearly accelerated by the GPU.

Can you please fix this?

Thanks,
Tom

(LR Classic 9.1, Camera Raw 12.1)

{Thread renamed by moderator}

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tom,

Sorry to hear about the performance issues with Lightroom, could you try installing the Nvidia's game ready drivers and let us know if it helps?

You may also try some troubleshooting steps mentioned here and see how it goes: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/lightroom-gpu-faq.html

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sahil,

I tried the Game Ready driver and got the same result. It as well doesn't matter whether 10bit or 8 bit colour depth are chosen.

In the meantime I was upgraded to LR Classic 9.2, but same behaviour.

Regards,

Tom

@david: My PC was brand new and set up by me - no previous drivers existing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using a Geforce GTX 1660 Super 6GB with Nvidea Studio driver 26.21.14.4166

So, that would be v441.66, over at NVIDIA the current (Studio) version listed is v442.19

Try a clean install of the newer driver. Accomplish a clean as opposed to express just in case some ditrus is hanging around from previous installs (if I remember correctly, choose custom)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is so annoying that I switch GPU acceleration off although there are functions (zoom in/out) which are clearly accelerated by the GPU.

As you are not running the display at 4K or higher, it is likely nothing is gained by use GPU, and in fact things could fail as you have noted.

But try the clean install.

Oh, and in the preferences for use GPU, if automatic does not lead to acceleration, think hard before forcing issues via custom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, no knowledge if you are doing the following. More performance can be achieved by the NVIDIA control panel setting described in the link below (not sure if Studio vs Game Ready alters this). Note, also, the results in Lightroom Classic preferences use GPU can change based on this.

see: https://www.winhelp.info/boost-lightroom-performance-on-systems-with-nvidia-graphics-chip.html

and as you are apparently on Windows OS see tip 8 in: https://au.pcmag.com/windows-10-1/5180/11-tips-to-speed-up-windows-10

Neitjer of those two tips should be accomplished on a laptop on battery power as they consume more power.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I solved my issue two months later and it was no bug in LR. I have as well a backup software running: Acronis True Image 2020. This software activated by default a (unnoticed) feature called "Active Protection" which should protect against ransomware. Active Protection is a piece of crap, as well slowing down Adobe Camera Raw dramatically. Switching it off solves the issue. I don't know why it only impacts LR and ACR GPU acceleration.
Thomas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines