• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GPU Grayed Out

Contributor ,
Sep 12, 2020 Sep 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a new issue, I didn't notice until I realized my computer was working working.

The GPU custom for images processing is grayed out.  Anyone know why?

2015 MBP

Metal Intel Iris Pro Graphics

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It just means that the graphics processor isn't  compatible, and is disabled automatically. Don't worry about it. My computer has on board graphics, no graphics card, and it's disabled as well. If your computer is working fine then just keep using it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, the gpu requirements 

• Intel: macOS 10.13 or later with Metal support.

I have metal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's really all I can tell you. With a computer that's five years old, and doesn't have a 4K monitor, it's highly unlikely that you would see any real benefit from having GPU support anyway. My computer is even older than yours, and I get along just fine without any GPU acceleration. You could try checking to see if they are are any updated drivers that might change things, but I suspect not. I don't have GPU support myself so I can't give you any more information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I process RAW files.  So seems a real issue or a bug since this is a new issue.  Alright will look else where or wait for more guidance.

Graciously,

Gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, but what does processing raw images have to do with anything in this discussion? That's all I take, and my computer and Lightroom Classic handles the images just fine. But you can spend the next several weeks trying to resolve the issue. I hope you find something that satisfies you. If the GPU is disabled, and you can't find drivers to resolve that, then either replace your graphics card, get a new computer with better graphics, or just don't worry about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just clarifying what I use my computer for.

Yea, I'll continue to look thank you.  Seems odd to all the sudden not be working with the designated GPU on board.  Its been only a recent issue.  I was able to choose it recently.  I have seen Adobe have system issues often.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Espectially since it shows it supports my GPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 13, 2020 Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe probably decided that the GPU in question was not as compatable as previously thought, and changed the code in LrC to treat that GPU as not supported. Now this could occur at an update. 

Note that most system reqquirements listed by Adobe are minimal, so unless the system requirement is for GPU acceleration to work, then it msy be for just LrC to function.

Note that Adobe appears to poorly update such documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the following. Close Lightroom. Browse to the Library folder inside your home folder, go to Application Support/Adobe/Camera Raw/GPU/. Delete the Camera Raw GPU config file you find there and the one in the Lightroom CLassic sub folder.

Restart Classic and check the performance tab. Did it revert to being supported in Auto?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was a relatively significant change to GPU in LrC 8.4 update which made some Graphics Cards not fully compatible and I believe you may have been affected. See my post in the thread you posted in earlier today the link is posted for easy reference.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/gpu-acceleration-processing-first-worked-now-its-gr...

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer is I spoke with Adobe.

There appears to be a slight misinterpretation with the wording in Lr.  When “auto” is chosen, it says “basic” acceleration is enabled.  However, when in Ps, advanced is enabled.

Before the change I used the manual way with custom.  But this feature doesn’t seem to be enabled in the current version of Lr.

The list of compatible GPUs does list the one in my machine.  Plus, the additional checking via Ps reveals this.

So, the answer is use “auto” in Lr for now until they return the feature of custom.

Grace and peace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok so let's get some info in sync. You can see the version of LrC and my iMac operating in my signature displayed in my post. Please share the specific info of the versions you are using. To be sure there have been lots of changes in LrC versions 8 and 9.4 and macOS 10.14.x10.15.6.

Also, post a screen capture of the top part of LrC Preferences> Performance tab. See the screen capture of my system.

Screenshot 2020-09-13 at 9.09.51 PM.png

You have also mentioned that Photoshop indicates that the Graphics card is fine. I am not sure why this is relevant, Lightroom is a complete stand-alone application and does not require Photoshop to be even installed on your system for it to function. Are you referring to the Plugin Adobe Camera Raw? see the screen capture.

Screenshot 2020-09-13 at 9.47.58 PM.png

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For everyone's additional information. The reference to Ps was for troubleshooting purposes, to establish that the GPU is compatible and works as it should.

2015 MBP 10.15.6

Lr 9.4

Intel Iris Pro Graphics

Grace and peace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for clarifying this info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines