Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GPU recommendation Lightroom

New Here ,
Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

My father in law is struggling with very slow loading speed for 45mp RAW files from his new Canon R5 in Lightroom.

Suspect this is because he is using Intel 530 integrated graphics. Files are being loaded from an SSD over SATA6.

Wondering if anyone can help with reasonably priced (c£250) GPU recommendation in the UK?

Would be interested to understand relative performance between cards and prices - for example RX 5500XT (£150) vs GTX 1660 (£230).

I've checked Puget but details for lightroom are fairly thin and only seem to recommend high powered, expensive and out of stock NVidia cards.

Adobe's recommended specs would be exceeded by both of the above - but obviously we'd rather not spend any £100 for no benefit!

Many thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The speed of loading (I assume loading into the Develop Module, but you didn't say that) will not be improved by a better GPU.

While there may be some delay due to disk transfer speed, generally the speed of loading is determined by the CPU. What CPU is being used?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm not completely familiar with the modules, my understanding is the issue is on initial import to the library viewer and that moving between images is very slow / causes crashes.

The current system runs an i5-6600k on the integrated graphics (HD 530) and various SSDs as data store for photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, speed at import is slow.

You have a 5 year old and relatively slow CPU struggling with 45MP original images. It all fits. The CPU is not fast enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. We'll have a look at CPU options as well as trying an older GPU
that we have lying around to see what happens.

Are there any recommendations on reasonably priced GPUs that would be
suitable? Either way, I think we need one to meet the Adobe recommend
requirements.

CPU seems fairly clear - AMD 5000 series.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Are there any recommendations on reasonably priced GPUs that would be suitable?

There are no GPUs suitable for this problem. A fast GPU will not fix this problem. A slow GPU will not fix this problem. This is a CPU problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines