• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Gradient guidelines jagged

Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My 8 year old Chillblast desktop PC is still going strong, now running W10 Pro latest, Lightroom Classic version: 10.1 [ 202012012023-e92d50bb ]. My original Radeon 6950 2GB graphics card stopped getting driver updates some time ago, and wasn't supported for GPU acceleration in Lightroom Classic or Photoshop, but worked fine.

I recently replaced the graphics card with a used Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB card which supports full acceleration in Lightroom Classic and PS. I haven't done much editing with it yet, but it is noticeably faster on many operations so far. The one disappointment is with the gradient tool interface. The gradient guidelines go very jagged when slightly off the horizontal. If I disable GPU acceleration, it improves it, but still jagged. With my old card, I don't recall noticing any jaggies at all, presumably being fully anti-aliased with the AMD drivers. It obviously doesn't affect the finished result, but annoying. I suspect it's a driver issue, so I should report it to NVIDIA. I'm using the latest 460.89 Studio Drivers as they are more stable than the Game Ready Drivers.

Just wondered if anyone else has noticed this with any other graphics cards, or if there's any setting that might affect the issue?

Here's a cropped screen dump showing the jagged guidelines.

Jagged gradient guidelines.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same thing. I have not found it to be a problem, as when you use the gradient tool, you don't expect to have an impact on specific pixels (that might be affected by a jagged line), you expect to have an effect on a large area of pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the replies all. It's not a problem, just annoying. I'm sure the lines were better anti-aliased with my ancient Radeon HD 6050, but I'm not about to swap them back again to prove it! If anyone else is running AMD drivers and has smoother lines I would be interested to hear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes years ago when I switched from drawing on paper to using a CADD program the jagged lines when drawing at an angle was annoying.

It is not your Vid card it is the nature of the square pixels and lines cutting across them at an angle. Something has to give.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're assuming the guidelines are only drawn with whole pixels. As you can see from my example above (click for 100% view), there is some attempt to anti-alias the jaggies by using grey tones, just not very succesfully. I'm assuming the difference in handling is part of the graphic drivers, as they are definitely not as jagged with the AMD drivers and card. It's not a big deal as I said, just an annoyance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normal. I've seen the same thing in both LrC and the CADD program I use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normal, and helps show  that gradient is not horizontal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That GPU would contain NVIDIA hardware, so you probably have an NVIDIA Control Panel you can use to alter AA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, I had a play with application-specific AA settings in the NVIDIA Control Panel, and couldn't see any difference to the UI. It probably only affects the images. I've reset it to defaults, as in the past AA has caused LRC crashes apparently. I'll live with the jaggies!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines