• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Graduated Filter limitation?

Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to make this filter NOT apply 100% behind the starting point?

I want a gradient effect starting where I place the starting point and forward through the span I choose, and want what's behind that left alone.  Presently, I erase that area.  Kind of a hassle.

An example is a shot of a newly-sprouting bean field. Halfway up is a treeline at horizon, talink up about a twenty-percent slice of the height of the frame.  Above is blue sky that I want untouched.  I want to start a Shadows-enhancement gradient going from treetop to tree baseline.  I don't want to enhance the sky.

Any thoughts?  Sure, I can brush the effect on or erase it from the sky, but why does this tool add 100% to everything behind it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The gradient tool is designed to apply the heaviest effect at the beginning and then gradually fade and you drag across the image. That's the way it works. Have you considered using the  radial filter. And, sometimes extensive brushing may be required, depending on the complexity of the project. Sometimes it takes a little work to create the image we want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But it doesn't just do that. Rather it creates 100% at the chosen spot AND BACKWARDS FROM THERE TO THE EDGE OF THE IMAGE.  I don't want that portion affected. I'd like the top half of the drag zone to be 100% and sizable, then the bottom portion be the gradient.  I'm asking if there's a key set or way to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The behavior you are seeing is what it is supposed to do. You might consider using thee radial filter with the invert option selected and see if that will help accomplish what you are trying to do. But there is not a way to make the gradient tool to what you are asking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't you ask this at the Lightroom Queen forums already? It was answered there already: 

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/community/threads/graduated-filter-why-100-applied-behind-the-startin...

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An alternative approach was given. 
Do you have one?

Dont gatekeep my post. I'm looking for any variety of ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe you already have been given the best suggestions-

1)  Use a Radial Gradient Filter-

2021-06-07 08_56_17-Lightroom Catalog-v10 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Develop.jpg

2)  Use TWO Graduated Filters, one +ve, another -ve.

2021-06-07 08_57_20-Lightroom Catalog-v10 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Develop.jpg2021-06-07 08_57_53-Lightroom Catalog-v10 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Develop.jpg

or

3) Brush.  Use the  [Click] [move brush] [Shift+Click]  to draw a straight line.

2021-06-07 08_58_23-Lightroom Catalog-v10 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Develop.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@KaiserBoy wrote:

An alternative approach was given. 
Do you have one?

Actually, I am the one who gave you the alternative of using two gradient filters...

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines