Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Grey thumbnails that can't be deleted?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I have some grey thumbnails showing up in my Lightroom Catalog that I can't seem to delete. When I click to remove them, nothing happens. When I click "show in finder" it says an Internal Error occured "?:0: attempt to index field 'rootFile' (a nil value)". Their file names indicate that they are some sort of duplicate of other images that I imported successfully. I have already tried disabling all plug-ins, and when I tried to import my photos into a new catalog an error occurs. I really want to avoid going to a back up file from before they appeared because I would lose a lot of edits that I have done on my actual photos in the mean time.

I am running Max OS 10.14.2 and the latest version of Lightroom Classic CC.

Please help!

Thanks

~M

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

A couple of things to try-

1. Go Menu > File > Optimize Catalog..

2. Shutdown Lightroom and in the Backup dialog check both [Test Integrity] and [Optimize]

3. When you start Lightroom- hold down the [Ctrl] key and in the Catalog choice dialog that opens- tick the [Test Integrity of this Catalog] box.

4. If others fail try exporting everything to another catalog-

• Go to "All Photographs",
  • Expand all stacks,
  • Clear any filters,
  • Select ALL image previews EXCEPT FOR the 'Zombie' file/s that cannot be deleted

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First up, "latest version of Lightroom Classic CC." will not cut it.

Please accomplish the following

In LR, clcik on Help, clcik on System Information, clcik on Copy. Paste that into your reply.

Oh and no nice well behaved Adobe Techs normaly here, just us grumpy old users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now one possibility (be careful) but somehow I question if this is it.And this is a bit old.

Lightroom error on preview cache or displays gray thumbnails

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple of things to try-

1. Go Menu > File > Optimize Catalog..

2. Shutdown Lightroom and in the Backup dialog check both [Test Integrity] and [Optimize]

3. When you start Lightroom- hold down the [Ctrl] key and in the Catalog choice dialog that opens- tick the [Test Integrity of this Catalog] box.

4. If others fail try exporting everything to another catalog-

• Go to "All Photographs",
  • Expand all stacks,
  • Clear any filters,
  • Select ALL image previews EXCEPT FOR the 'Zombie' file/s that cannot be deleted, and
  • From File menu-[Export AS A CATALOG] . Remove check marks from the three options (Include negative files, Smart Previews, and Include Previews).
  • Open this new catalog and check for the problem preview files.

(If this does not work you can delete this 'new' catalog and revert to the problematic one. Hopefully an answer will come)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2019 Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your response!

None of the Optimization methods worked, but building a new catalog minus the zombie pictures did! Thank you, thank you, thank you

~M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 18, 2019 Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There have been a number of reports of this happening recently. Please report it as a bug at Lightroom Classic CC | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Be sure to include a screen capture showing at least one of these grey thumbnails.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines