• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

grey thumbnails (underlying photo by double click) impossible to import to catalog

New Here ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I recently upgraded my MAC (late 2013; graphic card:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4 GB) to OS Catalina.

In Lightroom classic version 6 (desktop version Adobe Lightroom 1014445) my thumbnails are (completly) grey. If double click the underlying photo pops up (single view) but still it is impossible to import selected checked photo's or rather grey boxes into my catalog (import is from an external LaCie harddisk). I tried already Copy instead of Add but despite all my efforts it doesn't work...

So: the underlying photos are there but are not shown as thumbnails and cannot be imported into the catalog, although some of them are shown in the grid whereas some others (in the same folder) are not...

I uploaded some screenprints to show the problem. I hope someone can help me with this frustrating problem. Thanks in advance 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you turn OFF GPU in preferences? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Already tried it. Does not help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.  It could be a faulty ICC display profile. Recalibrate and build a new one.
    2. It could be how the profile was built. Set your software to build Version 2 (V2) not V4 profiles.
    3. It could be the type of profile built. Try Matrix instead of LUT based profile. Again, that's a setting in whatever software you use to calibrate and profile the display.
Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. A vent, please avoid using the attachment feature in this community page, it has never worked very well, and has gotten worse, it is not meant for images, it is not meant for text files.

moving on

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2. Common issue post Catalina, this does not apply to MACOS pre Catalina.

Many people get tripped  up over pop ups that MACOS presents when a application first attempts to access various Files and Folders, mostly Folders. 

Catalina added cybersecurity for application rights. 

Outside of Lightroom, in the MACOS, on the MAC, bring up System Preferences, select Security and Privacy, select the Privacy tab. Scroll down to Files and Folders, for Lightroom Classic, and while you are at it, for Photoshop, make sure all boxes are checked.

39BBA330-0A6B-41EF-8710-CBB552CB1D9A.png

see: 

https://nektony.com/duplicate-finder-free/folders-permission

If you store catalogs or photos in the MACOS system folder Photos, scroll up to Photos, and make sure Lightroom Classic, and Photoshop are included as being allowed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

Tried it. Checked all boxes but still does not work...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After you made the change. Close Lightroom Classic, then restart your operating system.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Post removed.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines