• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

h: drive Vs G: drive

Explorer ,
Dec 24, 2018 Dec 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So i’m Using LR 5.7 Win 10 pn PC and Laptop.  On my 27 in Dell pc, i’m using an external drive which holds the LR catalog.  The drive shows up as H: drive.  If I plug in the same drive into my Laptop, the drive shows up as G: drive.  When I start LR only laptop, I get the message that it cannot find the folder....

is is there an easy way to point the catalog to the G: drive to let LR on my laptop know it is located on the drive called G:?

i have over 200 folders and I don’t want to locate “each” one....hopefully I can just “re-point” to the G: drive.

thank you

sal

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

[Comments is to ask about the operation of the Forum, not a specific program]

[Moved from the Comments forum to the specific Program forum... Mod]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A fix, to make the laptop OS reassign the drive letter to H exists, I am not currently on a PC, so this would come from old gray cells. following might lead you astray.

oh, heck, or I could simply provide a link:

Change a drive letter | Microsoft Docs

Now that being said, I assume you are starting LR by clicking on its icon, LR by default try’s to open the catalog last worked on, apparently it is not present, and you get an error, Now I would of thought LR would offer you to select another catalog, did it not inquire?

workaround, do not start LR via the icon, instead in windows file explorer double click on the catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reallocate your drive on the laptop to be g: drive using the windpws os (disk management)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, as suggested above- Assign a permanent name and drive letter to the external drive.

Use a Drive letter that is well down the alphabet eg.   P (for Photographs) or X, Y, Z, etc.

Then when you plug the drive into any computer it will be the same Drive letter.

Details here-

Lightroom loses photo location after connecting removable devices

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did all that was suggested.....started LR from the catalog rather than the icon....also tried the icon....

The drive letter did change from G: to H: but still can’t find the folders.....this has got

to be one of the BIGGEST weaknesses of LR....VERY, VERY frustrating to say the least!

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1 of 2 How about a screenshot, interested in what is displayed in the folders panel. Make sure that the parent folder that the catalog is in is displayed, make sure any folders images are supposed to be in are displayed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 25, 2018 Dec 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What folders can’t be found? Where are your pictures located? On the mobile device?

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2 of 2. Please post your folder structure, tell us where the catalog should be

something Like

catalog in H:\Pictures\mycatalog.lrcat

images in. H:\Pictures\images\2018 etc

hmm, you could probably take a screenshot of your directory structure as #hown in Windows file explorer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you not just right click on the top level of the missing folders and then choose find missing folder... don't have lightroom in front of me just now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No....I have over a hundred folders “by date that I shoot”....I WANT TO POINT TO THE DRIVE (that was H: on PC and now shows as G: on laptop) I don’t want to have to find each individual folder....

I’ll tell ya, Capture 1 is looking that much better right now...

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If all of your photo folders are under one main photo folder like "My Pictures" or "Jaspers Photos", all you have to do is use the LR find missing folder function and they will all be there for LR to see again. If your photo folders are scattered around on the drive, then the job will be more complicated.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 26, 2018 Dec 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing the drive character is a Windows feature not a feature of Lightroom. Capture1 would have the same problem. Change your drive character back using the corresponding Windows tools to its origins and all is OK.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case you need to do as previously suggested, sorry if you know this already but right click on start menu and choose disk management on either computer, it doesn't matter which and find your drive and right click on it and chose to Change Drive Letter and Paths and then assign it the drive letter that you want. Personally I assign P (for pictures/photos) to the drive on both computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about that frigging screenshot of your folders panel? Pictures are worth a lot more than words.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use an EHD all the time on the road with my MAC Book, then attach it to my workstation when I get home. Now that’s two different OS and two very different drive determinations, with no problem at all.

Also, I keep my catalogs not currently being worked on in F drive (internal HD, not, very quick, F for file), and copy them to my W drive when  I want to work on them ( internal SSD, W for work), and normally no problem, occasionally, with very old catalogs, I might see two drives in folders (easily mitigated) (Locate column if I remember correctly, be careful with that)

so, I move catalogs all over the place, and I do not have your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, should have remembered.

have you checked the OS permissions on the hard drive ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope you can see the laptop screenshot...everything is in the G: drive (DNG

Converted) but on the PC, it is the H: drive...

does this help?

thanks

sal

On Wed, Dec 26, 2018 at 3:13 PM davidg36166309 <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not, visible, should be pasred into your reply, not sent as an attachment in mail (if that’s what you did)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did Windows+prtscrn and then pasted it into the reply.....wrong?

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attachments and screen shots cannot be uploaded by email.

You need to log into the forums website to do the uploads from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no problem changing the drive letter from G: to H: (via disk management) but even though it shows up on the Laptop as H:, still can’t find the folders....

I’m now in Boston for a few weeks with my laptop and my PC is back in Florida....

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In LR, does the Folder panel correctly show the folder hierarchy?

If not, do a right-click "show parent folder" as needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 27, 2018 Dec 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will have to assign the drive letter on all computers that you are using it is not stored on the EHD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 27, 2018 Dec 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

rsearlenz  wrote

You will have to assign the drive letter on all computers that you are using it is not stored on the EHD

Not correct. (TBMK)

The link given in Post#3 above explains-

"Assigned drives retain their letters provided you do not run out of drive letters, or assign multiple drives to the same letter (this occurs rarely). "

So if you assign an External Drive (not usb sticks, etc)  with the letter P, it will appear as P  on any computer.

If you have several external devices connected  E: F: G: H: etc, then it is highly likely that they will change letter in the order they were  connected, unless you assign a letter lower down in the alphabet. M: N: O: P: etc.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines