Hallow rings in Lightroom

Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In some photos when I use high contrast / dehaze / clarity effect, I see rings as you can see in the attached photo. This happens in various small 1 in. Cameras of mine. Any idea where it comes from? 

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0rJfehMpJkchBhMIvUN1AnaPw 

TOPICS
FAQ, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Hallow rings in Lightroom

Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In some photos when I use high contrast / dehaze / clarity effect, I see rings as you can see in the attached photo. This happens in various small 1 in. Cameras of mine. Any idea where it comes from? 

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0rJfehMpJkchBhMIvUN1AnaPw 

TOPICS
FAQ, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 25, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please use the Insert Photo button.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, see other friends here did it for me

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 27, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use a screen capture app, and edit the caapture to add some circles or around what youbare trying to show us.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you preview at 100% (1:1) and ONLY within Develop module: still see the rings? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2020 1
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming we are talking about the big cloudy ring....

Seeing the sun peeking in at the top-left corner, does this effect happen when the sun is not in the frame?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, actually it happens when the seen has very little contrast and i try to get it to be contrasty 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 27, 2020 0
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "rings" are noise.

A correctly exposed image at ISO 125 should be noise free, so my guess is that this image is severely underexposed, and to compensate for this, you have dragged the Exposure slider and/or Shadows slider to the right.

This will inevitably bring out noise, and additionally, Clarity and Dehaze will accentuate any noise in the image.

On top of this, you have not used the Masking slider when applying sharpening, so that the noise has been sharpened.

Masking lets you protect flat areas (where noise is most visible) from sharpening. Hold down the Alt/Option key while dragging the slider- White areas will be sharpened, black areas will not be sharpened.

You may find this article helpful: Exposing a digital image

Because of the sharp noise, the file size for this jpg is 11 MB, so I had to resave it to get a file size below 10 MB, which is the maximum file size for inserted photos on this forum.

For a better understanding of the connection between image content and jpg file size, see this article:

File formats

P1020747-1.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, definitely noise, low light and pushed shadow and highlights... this where I love to push my photos to... give me a new creative landscape with limited cameras.. you gave me inserting directions to explore.. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 27, 2020 0